Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Lab off food?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Duggee, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Duggee

Duggee PetForums Member

Does hot weather put them off their food? Our 9 month old lab usually inhales her food, but she’s completely left her dinner tonight... although she happily ate pizza off the floor thrown by my toddler!

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I would be concerned. While it might dent the appetite, it shouldn't put them off completely. The pizza is a good sign but I'd still keep a close eye for any other signs of illness

Torin., Happy Paws2 and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

If she's still off her food today I'd defiantly speak to your vet tomorrow morning.

4. Duggee

Duggee PetForums Member

Thank you both. She’s ok in herself (a little lethargic, but she’s like that when it’s hot as she just wants to lie on the cold floor - she’s quick enough to run outside when she hears next door’s dog barking!), but she’s only eaten about a 1/3 of her breakfast this morning. She recently finished her first season so I don’t know if that plays a part? If she’s still like it tomorrow I’ll ring the vet.

Happy Paws2 likes this.
  5. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Is she drinking plenty?

6. Duggee

Duggee PetForums Member

Yes she’s drinking lots. We’ve just got back from the park and she was her usual self, running after her ball, excited to meet other dogs, walked fine. Pooing and weeing as usual.

7. Duggee

Duggee PetForums Member

Just wondering if it could be a change to the recipe of her food? She’s on Arden Grange large breed puppy and I’ve just opened a new bag. She’s eating anything else she’s given (ie dropped on the floor by the kids). My husband put some roast beef scraps in her bowl on top of her dry food and of course she ate the beef, but left the dry food.

8. rona

How long ago was her season?

It could possibly be a phantom pregnancy or much more worrying PYO.
    Unlikely as she's so young but you should be aware as it can kill really quickly and is an emergency

9. Duggee

Duggee PetForums Member

She started bleeding on the 30th June so she has only just finished. What is PYO? I’m panicking now! What are the symptoms?

10. rona

11. Duggee

Duggee PetForums Member

12. rona

As I said, quite unlikely, but if there's the slightest doubt, a vet visit is a must.
    If it's a closed PYO, she wouldn't necessarily be licking but that one is even more deadly.

Sorry to scare you but it is something everyone with a bitch should be aware of.
    Do you know about Bloat?

13. Duggee

Duggee PetForums Member

No. I’m afraid to ask, but what is bloat?

14. Duggee

Duggee PetForums Member

Ok, so my husband just hand fed her some of her Arden Grange which she took, then spat out. He then fed her some leftover Sunday lunch and she nearly took his hand off! What does this mean?!

15. rona

https://www.bluecross.org.uk/pet-ad...ASzpZohDhs3Br8rtqzOCYtusHb8x6AkAaApPJEALw_wcB

It means that you can tempt a dog with more and more tasty tidbits. You did say that she usually inhales her food, so any appetite change is worrying.
    Have you checked her teeth? Maybe the hard food is an issue for some reason

Torin. and Duggee like this.
  16. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Is it kibble does she have any wet food with it? It could be that she is poorly or just has gone off the food a bit.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  17. Happy Paws2

She's gone off Arden Grange. Look for a good kibble and mix it with fresh left over meat or some wet dog food.

We use to feed Dillon on Vets Kitchen salmon and rice and added a little from a Cesar dog food tray.

Duggee likes this.
  18. Duggee

Duggee PetForums Member

It’s just kibble. I think I will see if she eats tonight and tomorrow morning and ring the vet tomorrow if she’s still not right.

19. Happy Paws2

[QUOTE="Duggee, post: 1065650256, member: 1500433"]It’s just kibble. I think I will see if she eats tonight and tomorrow morning and ring the vet tomorrow if she’s still not right.[/QUOTE]

You can always add some raw chopped veg, Dillon loved carrot, swede, cabbage stalks any veg really.

Boxer123 and Duggee like this.
  20. Duggee

Duggee PetForums Member

You can always add some raw chopped veg, Dillon loved carrot, swede, cabbage stalks any veg really.[/QUOTE]
    Thanks, yes she loves carrots and broccoli, and I also have some frozen raw feed chicken which I’ll try mixing with her kibble this evening.

I didn’t have a fraction of the worries with my cat in the 17 years she was with me, as I’ve had over the past 7 months with this dog!

Boxer123 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice