Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kongs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by IrishEyes, Nov 25, 2012.

1. IrishEyes

IrishEyes PetForums VIP

I bought Horace a kong yesterday, filled it with peanut butter and gave it to him.

He loved it and it kept him busy for 30mins or so but then he seemed to give up as he couldn't get the rest out. He seemed to try to lick it out rather than also chewing on it but I'm wondering if he gave up as it's new to him and he hasn't yet worked out how it works? Do dogs sometimes take a while to get used to kongs or does Horace simply have little patience?!

2. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Well I never FILL a kong with something like peanut butter, I just smear the inside, your dog may have felt full or not want anymore.

I do fill with raw food, yoghurt and banana and freeze.

My dog often gets ALL his meals via kongs, wobbler, tug a jug etc so he has learned to work hard to get the food out as he knows there is no "free meal in a bowl" that he can consume in seconds.

The tongue is a muscle, if it has not been used a lot, his tongue may have been very achy from trying to extract the food too.

He will get more thorough with experience (and hunger) ;)

3. IrishEyes

IrishEyes PetForums VIP

Thank you for your help smokey.

He definitely wasn't full but I did wonder if perhaps his tongue or jaws weren't used to that exercise so he was tired...
    I thought it would make it easier for him to get used to it if I used peanut butter to start with then try using other foods as he gets used to it.

Next time I won't fill it and see how he gets on. We can build it up from there. Putting his meal in it is a good idea.

4. shelly11

shelly11 Guest

My dog is just not interested in Kongs either , will lick or chew for a few mins and then lose complete interest altogether ;-)

5. missRV

missRV PetForums VIP

Hi

Rosie has the smallest kong imaginable (the extra small puppy one) the puppy one is softer and she has not worked out that she has to chew it to get the good stuff out. We tend to just have the peanut butter just inside the hole but there's always a bit left at the bottom. She can smell it and tries to lick it.... she's gota tongue like a frog so it's not too bad but she ain't bright enough to figure it out.

6. Beth17

Beth17 PetForums VIP

It took Sam a little while to work out how to drop it etc and get everything out but he's a little pro now :)

7. laurahair

laurahair PetForums Member

Same here unfortunately. She licks the stuff near the hole, might drag out a bit but gets postively bored after about 5 mins.

8. IrishEyes

IrishEyes PetForums VIP

Thank you for the replies, tried it again this morning with just a few bits of loose meat stuffed in, he definitely loves it and he's still spending time on it but it hasn't dawned on him yet that he can pick it up, drop it, chew it etc. I've tried showing him by dropping it myself and bits spilling out but as yet he's still more licking than anything!

I'm sure (hoping!) that he will soon realise :)

9. totallypets

totallypets PetForums Senior

Poppy really only uses her tongue to extract the goodies, very little chewing and no dropping. Quite lucky really as she gets to lick out the peanut butter jar when it's only got smeary stuff in there - could be dangerous if she dropped that!

10. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

There is some other ideas for fillings on the Kong website.

Recipes - Kong

More ideas here

Kong Stuffing Recipes

You can fill them with a good quality wet dog food too like Nature diet.

Mine liked these too Busy Buddy twist and treat, you can put kibble in these from their allowance too, plus other things.

Busy Buddy Twist-n-Treat - YouTube

11. GingerRogers

GingerRogers PetForums VIP

Took Ginge a long time to figure out how to get it all out too and she still leaves a bit in the bottom (nice if you don't realise, not!) sometimes but I did but her the smallest as she is small, but I think she could cope with a bigger one now.

12. sligy

sligy PetForums Senior

Our kong just gets chucked around the field, my dog will only play fetch with it.
    Have tried loads of different things in it but it never seems to interest him. My horse on the other hand will plat with it!

13. jetsmum

jetsmum PetForums VIP

I put some kibble in the bottom so that Jet can get all the filling out easily.Sometimes I'll layer it, kibble, cheese, kibble then best of all (for him anyway) peanut butter. He'll spend ages with it after it's empty, just turning it over and licking it.

When I put the salmon or trout mousse from fish4dogs in it, you'd think he hadn't been fed for a week the way he goes at it!!

14. BabyBlu

BabyBlu PetForums Senior

I have tried all sorts of stuff in the 2 kongs I bought but Edie gets bored after 5 mins.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice