Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kongs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by kaz, Jan 29, 2008.

1. kaz

kaz PetForums Junior

How many other people use Kongs for their dogs?
    What do you fill them with? I've tried biscuits etc and they just fall out. Peanut butter has been suggested but that can't be healthy for the dogs:eek:

2. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

i put a little peanut butter on the end of a spoon and poke it right down into the kong,my dogs lick and chew at it for ages,,,,thats what people told me to put in it,,as you say ,treats do fall out very easy

1 person likes this.
  3. garryd

garryd Guest

better off with peanut butter!;) as the proper kong paste is f-ing dear at £6 a can and lasts one sqwert :mad:

4. colliemerles

i didnt know there was a kong paste,,,,you sure you aint mistaken garry,, you aint squirting dog tooth past in it are you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:p:p:p

5. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

my mother bought that paste once never again though the dog wasnt thas fussed on it

6. garryd

garryd Guest

yeah they do! , when i bought the Kong there was Kong paste in an aerosol can that cost £6,its like brown squirty cream and its a rip off as its only good for one squirt:( and thats no good is it collie:D

7. colliemerles

one quick squirt,,,that wouldnt do me garry,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,oops,,i mean my dog ,,,,:rolleyes::rolleyes:

8. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

no way things should last much longer than that, the longer the better

9. kaz

kaz PetForums Junior

Our problem is 2 Kongs, 5 dogs - as long as they don't have anything in the dogs are OK but put something in them and it is war!

10. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

sometimes even if you have one each they will want the other dogs you could try 1 each and see if it helps unfortunately dogs to tent to argue over food as do mine on occasion

11. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Soak your dry food in a little water then press it in really hard, in summer or for teething pups freeze it. Frozen beef broth or veg soup is also very useful, especially after an op where the dog can't do much exercise, yogurt frozen is also good.
    I agree the kong paste is rubbish, over priced and the ingredients are terrible, as bad as cheap dog food.

12. jeanie

jeanie PetForums VIP

I have one each but still they fight over one so i have to split them and that applies to any toy they have lol,

13. nici

nici PetForums Senior

mine like marmite thinly wiped round the middle of theres, i have also used frozen yoghurt:D

14. carol

carol PetForums VIP

ive got them and they use them toys when we play
    no food in them

15. Puppy Love

Puppy Love PetForums Senior

One of my friends suggested filling a Kong with peanut butter and putting it in the freezer, it keeps her dog occupied for ages trying to get through it as it slowly melts, Ive not tried it as yet on my puppy - think its too soon for peanut butter - or is it???

Puppy Love

16. AJ

AJ Guest

I've started filling kongs with raw mince, liver or chicken. Milo loves it. :)

17. annieb

annieb PetForums Newbie

We usually stuff one end of the kong with a lump of cheese and fill the rest with a mixture of peanut butter, cream cheese (out of a tube is easiest) doggie treats etc and then we ram another piece of cheese to plug the other end. This keeps Jazz amused for quite a time.:)

18. garryd

garryd Guest

my dogs allways licking his big kong;) hes allways got it in his mouth!

19. annieb

annieb PetForums Newbie

I think I am beginning to see how your little mind works Garryd. I think you would qualify for therapy as you seem to ........oh well........ you know.......I don't have to spell it out!

20. garryd

garryd Guest

what???:confused: i think its you thats a bit strange;) my dog has allways got his kong in his mouth, a bit back i put a pic up with him licking it etc etc so i aint lieing !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice