Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

KONG Advice

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by HB2210, May 19, 2010.

1. HB2210

HB2210 PetForums Junior

Bought my puppy a KONG to help him settle whilst I brush him. Whats the best thing to smear inside it to keep him in one place ? The packaging says peanut butter is ok, anyone any advice ????

2. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

3. francesandjon

francesandjon PetForums VIP

I vary the contents.....

......carrots and dog treats in a mixture of mashed banana and peanut butter - in the freezer overnight...lovely!

4. Rhigeebee

Rhigeebee PetForums Newbie

We use the special kong paste you can buy but admit it can be expensive. The boys do love it though...

5. francesandjon

francesandjon PetForums VIP

I'm gonna put sardines in the next one.....yummy!!

6. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

We vary the contents. sometimes I pack it full with chappie: biscuits topped with cheese which I then melt in the microwave for a few seconds - it sets hard and holds it in place: sardines: veg and gravy frozen (a doggy lollipop): cream cheese.

Peanut butter doesn't work for us - it makes my dogs loose.

7. Chocmonster

Chocmonster PetForums Member

I've found that Milly likes cheap cheese in hers, either triangles or the squares you use for burgers, they are easy to smeer around the insides too. She doesn't have it every day, just when I know I need to keep her amused for a while, like when the Bank Manager came for a visit at work last week!

8. Chance

Chance PetForums Senior

Cheese spread made chance very very loose and made a very very bad mess of my back lawn!

We now stuff large chunks of carrott in there, big enough so she has to bounce it to wriggle them out. Great fun and keeps her busy for a good while. We have also tried packing with other fruit/veg leftovers and then frozen it-again keeps her busy and entertained whilst giving her a snack.

I guess every dog has different likes/dislikes and so there is an element of trial and error.

9. Dans Mum

Dans Mum PetForums Junior

Dan loves Peanut butter in his kong, but his favourite this week is a mix of duck and orange pate and cream cheese.

10. k4r4

k4r4 PetForums VIP

Cheese, peanut butter frozen anything really.

To be honest i was looking for new ideas for bobby lol, I hate giving him the same stuff over and over he gets bored too lol.

11. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

soooo many different fillings!

cheese - melted in the microwave and then left to cool so it hardens!

cream cheese

sardines in tomato sauce

banana

peanut butter

pieces of kibble

naturediet or any other wet dog food

mashed veggies

raw crunchy carrots

peanut butter

hotdog sausages

boiled chicken

soaked kibble

apple and cheese

any combination (the weirder the better) of the above lol! and LOTS more!

to make them last longer, then freeze them before you give them to the dog.

** with any puppy make sure you introduce all the different foods and fillings one at a time over a long period so you dont upset their tummy.

12. Emmily

Emmily PetForums Member

Some great suggestions there, I've Copied & Paste billyboysmammy list to Word so I don't have to search for this thread.:)

I've added scrambled egg with cheese to my list (I know my two like it); but I don't think egg freezes well, anyone know?

My two haven't got Kongs yet, hoping to get them one each soon. What about the size of Kong. The puppy Kongs look very small, Rosie's 5 months old now, would the puppy Kong be too small for her?

13. Dans Mum

Dans Mum PetForums Junior

Dan has 'borrowed' my friend's puppy's Puppy Kong and likes it just as much as his adult one. Its harder for him to get the filling out so keeps him amused a little longer. It's definitely not too small for him. Although if your Millie is a vey big girl i guess the puppy kong may be a little small for her.

14. Emmily

Emmily PetForums Member

Thanks Dans Mum :) I assume Dan is the dog in your Avatar, if so Rosie is smaller, Terrier cross, so a Puppy Kong should be okay for her; but I'm not sure if I'll be choosing the Puppy Kong for the right reason, because it's pretty pink marble-like. I know it's silly to choose something like that by its colour; I'll have to make sure I have my sensible head on when I go to buy their Kongs. ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice