Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

kiya

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by juliehogg, May 10, 2010.

1. juliehogg

juliehogg PetForums Newbie

Hi, I have just rehomed an 8 month old akita bitch, who is mostly lovely, who understands most basic comands and is generally good, when I leave her she chews skirting board and window sills, how can I stop her when I don't actually see her . Can't reparmand after the event.

2. leashedForLife

congratulations on the new-arrival! :p and other than the chewing, it sounds as tho she is doing really well. :thumbup:

she;s 8-MO, hun -
    where did she live before U got her? in a house, a yard, a concrete-floored run?
    how much does she know about living in a house, with ppl?

i would crate-train her and crate her when she is left alone -
    and i would begin by introducing the crate *as a good thing*, with a shipping-style crate - not a wire cage.
    a 24-inch wide x 36-inch long shipping-crate should fit her well -
    my F Akita weighed 80# and used one all her life, as an adult it was open in my bedroom, she used it by her choice.

i would also begin just as i would with a puppy - put the crate beside my bed, right next to it, as a night-stand.
    the dog would sleep beside me, in her crate but in the same room, able to hear, see + smell me, as a presence.

a stuffed-Kong in her crate, filled the night before with one-half her usual breakfast + frozen, will keep her happily busy.
    that means her brekkie is half its usual measure each morning - as she eats the other half from the Kong.
    giving her one other chew-toy that is SAFE - solid-rubber, solid-nylon, no small parts to chew-off + swallow -
    is also good.

keeping her safely confined + occupied will ease her day; keeping RETURNS + EXITS calm + low-key is also important.
    DAP pump-spray and/or Rescue-Remedy can also help her with this transition into a new home, new ppl, new area,
    new neighborhood - its a huge change.
    see post #22 in the sticky dog body language for info on calmatives -
    lavender-water [botanical - not perfume] is a great cue for calm night-time sleep, with U there,
    and once the association is solid, can be used to calm her during the day, too.

a solid connection between *lavender-water* and *calm rest* takes 5 to 7 nights - the association must be periodically
    refreshed by being used At Night while U are there, the house is quiet, and the dog is calm.
    if it is ONLY used when she is about to be left alone, and is distressed, it will become a cue for STRESS instead.
    Alteya is especially good -
    Alteya Organics | USDA certified organic Bulgarian Lavender Water

happy training, :)
    --- terry

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice