Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitty not keen on affection

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by LisaLisa, Jun 26, 2009.

1. LisaLisa

LisaLisa PetForums Junior

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, just signed up today. I have been reading the posts with interest and you all seem to be very clued up on kitties :)

I have two 10 week old girl kittens that I brought home a week ago, called Elphie and Ruby. Whilst Elphie is very affectionate and likes to curl up on my lap, Ruby hardly even lets me stroke her and she hates being picked up. She has never tried to sit on me or my boyfriend's knee, yet she will lie near us and purr, and she follows us around the house like her sister.

I'm fine with this and don't mind if this is just her personality, but I'm just worried that she feels left out because Elphie is always with me.

What does everyone think? :confused:

2. Jay Tee

Jay Tee PetForums Newbie

Like you said its just personality, Milly is the same, she will sit on my lap once in a blue moon for a cuddle but follows me and my GF everywhere around the house, loves to sit near us and just purr. Some cats just don't like to be fussed over.

Leave her to it and don't fuss over her, in time she will come for a cuddle but on her terms and not for very long if she is like my moggy! The fact that she will follow you around and want to be near you is a side that she loves yay.

3. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Hiya, well you have only had her a week! Give her some more time to settle, the other one may just be more confident than her sister, or it may just be that she wasnt held as much as the other one was dominant and went for attention so she held back!

I do love it when they sit on your lap though :D

pics please!

4. Jewel

Jewel PetForums Junior

I have had Katy since last October and , although she is always following me around and likes to sit near me, she has only sat on my lap once. This seemed to surprise her and me, now I just take what she is prepared and happy to give in the way of affection. :)

5. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

My Lola is exactly the same. She follows me to the toilet and if I don't let her in, she meows outside the door. But if I try and give her a cuddle she just runs away. She likes to purr and harrass me in the mornings however. :001_tt2:

6. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

as said give her time to settle in, but they do all have different personalities, one of mine loves sitting on my lap, but the other one only sits on my lap when and if she feels like it, and it isnt very often,:)

7. Pumpkin

Pumpkin PetForums Junior

Hey, my lil girl Treacle is near enough the same lol. I've had her since she was 7 weeks old and she is 11 weeks tomorrow, and she neer came to me when i 1st got her home, now she follows me and my BF around the house all the time, will quite happily sit on the sofa next to you and on the bed, but isn't that interested in actually cuddlling on you. Where as my other one will. It just shows how different they can be! lol. xx

8. lovecats2009

lovecats2009 PetForums Junior

As everyone has said give it time.

My Male cat Patch is just over a year old and he dont like being picked up but a couple of times he comes up to us and rubs his nose in our face which is sweet:)

9. LisaLisa

LisaLisa PetForums Junior

thanks guys, i'm just trying to give her some attention on her own when i can, and she seems happy :)

10. WittyKitty

WittyKitty Guest

I think you should give them time to settle. My cat isn't really a lap cat but she sits at my feet, purrs at me and follows me around the house. She often jumps up and sits beside me on the sofa or she sits next to my head on the sofa but very very rarely on my lap.

If your RUby isn't a lap cat that is fine... just her personality but some time now and again she will jump up and when she does you will be really pleased :) trust me... I feel privaleged when my kitty gets up on my lap :D

welcome to the forum :)

11. badbudgie

badbudgie PetForums Member

Like others say, I am sure given a little more time she will come around.

It will make it all the more special when she does come around to the idea of cuddles!

12. bimbleweb

bimbleweb PetForums Member

It must be a little frustrating having a new kitten that isn't comfortable with cuddles. Give her time and she'll come to you, or your bf - which ever she thinks has the more comfortable lap :) x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice