Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

kitty fund???for us all??

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by marleyboo, Feb 9, 2012.

1. marleyboo

marleyboo PetForums Senior

i dont know if im allowed to post this so mods please delet if not... but has anybody ever considered making a kitty fund :D excuse the pun...

because my partner works we are not entitled to pdsa....ofcourse we have to pay for treatment even when we have no money spare...

but im thinking for unexpected accidents or emergencies.. would any body be interested in making a kitty fund? ofcourse we would choose a member here who would be trustworthy?? and every now and then people could send ££`s here and there nothing much just every now and again..

ive read a few posts here lately and i know how difficult it is to pay for treatments.. i know we can get pet insurance i mean an emergency fund for anybody who doesnt expect something to come up, in a serious situation??

ofcourse im always happy to donate ... and more than happy to contribute??

just a thought anyway? xxx

2. SnazzyJazzy

SnazzyJazzy PetForums VIP

i was just thinking along the same line :) i think it would be a fantastic idea and would happily donate what i can each month
    i was also thinking we could all help get warren his kitty back ten pound from everyone would really help

i apologise if this is offensive at all to anyone.

3. Jugsmalone

Jugsmalone PetForums VIP

I like the idea but not sure if the mods will allow it. I would happily contribute for an animal in really need of treatment if their owner is struggling.

4. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

Pet insurance isn't an option for everyone.

I have 7 cats, some of which are elderly. I even adopted a 16 year-old cat once. The insurance for a cat of that age is higher than you are likely ever to spend on a vet, as in most cases it is kinder to put a very old cat to sleep, as the time needed for them to recover often exceeds their life expectancy.

But if I figure out what it would cost me to insure all my cats, considering their ages, it would take 3 or 4 major medical disasters during their lifetime for me to break even on the insurance. Paying that amount of money into a special kitty cost account of my own would be cheaper in the end. As things are, I can afford the vet bills, even hefty ones, but one never knows what the future may bring. And I think many of us are in the same boat. No-one can be sure of their job, nowadays.....

I know of other pet forums that have an emergency fund, and I think it's a good idea.

5. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

As much as it is fab idea, personally - and dont jump on me, i for one would not be prepared to go down this option. Both myself and oh work and both cats are insured, oh pays for their food and i do their insurance and oh puts remainder of equal money into jar to pay for their jabs etc and with cost of living i can just afford to keep myself on the straight and narrow never mind anyone else.

Plus remember you are on line and as bad as it sounds, you dont know who or what you are talking to.

As said for people not working there is help there, perhaps limited help for people on low income, im not on a lot but i budget and live within my means. I try to help others when i can such as feeding a stray that comes to us everyday and donating blankets etc to our
    local cp.

Sorry if i offend anyone,

6. Oscars mam

Oscars mam PetForums VIP

As much as I think this is a fantastic idea I also agree with WelshJet to some extent! Sadly online is not always as it seems and there are some very un scrupulous people out there!!! I've learnt the hard way in the past! I am a very trusting person who has been burnt on more than one occasion sadly!
    I too don't mean to offend anyone and will more than help anyone in need but it's a scary online world :(

7. Grumblebum

Grumblebum PetForums Newbie

Whilst it's a lovely idea, but it would never work and would lead to anger and resentment.

I have seen many many people get their fingers burnt on things like this, you have to remember that not everyone is as honest as you and things like this will draw scammers to it like moths to a flame, and we have had a lot of high post count PF members turn out to be not what they seem ;)

Money and friendship should never mix especially when you don't truly know the friend the behind screen. Plus the Mods would and should not allow this.

#7 Grumblebum, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  8. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Whilst I think the idea and sentiment are a brilliant one, I think trying to work this would be near on impossible as, like WJ said, you don't know who is on-line and who would see this as an opportunity to scam others.

In real terms, it would not be practical.

There are those who also have the train of thought that if you are unable to afford insurance to cover the cost of having a pet, or the cost of vet treatment, then you might need to reconsider having a pet. :eek:

9. Kiwi

Kiwi PetForums VIP

I think this has been suggested before and turned down for the reasons listed above and the issue of liability for the forum administrators :( Nice idea tho' x

10. Golgotha_tramp

Golgotha_tramp PetForums Senior

This could be absolutely workable but you would need to almost run it as a charity in inself. Have a treasurer and a board of trustees.

You would need to think about how you would validate claims, how you would decided who deserved the money (if you had £1000 and two people needed £850 - how would you decide). When do you draw the line helping an individual? Would it be means tested? What if they got a second animal against recomendation and that was then sick?

Also, for money holding purposes you would need accounts etc.

Effetively you are talking about setting up a new charitable fund. Are there any rescue people on who could shed some light into the ins and outs of it?

I would happily contribute providing these things were in place but it is a massive job.

ETA - to add contact to how much of a big job it is see the attached link on charity set-up
    Setting up a charity

#10 Golgotha_tramp, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  11. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

I have worked for a charity before and they really do rely on regular donations, i.e. a certain amount coming in every month, they can't just get by on occasional donations alone. Even if it is a very small amount like just 2 pounds a month per person, the regularity helps them to plan and they like to know how much they are likely to have in future months. If nobody needed to use the fund for the first 6 months and then suddenly a member needed 700 quid, the funds could be spent very quickly!!

This is a lovely idea to help people who need assistance, only there is a lot to consider! :eek:

12. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

So here goes :D

I am new around here, you don't know me but I had to spend £200 on my kitten last week I wasn't expecting.

Please can you give me some money ;)

13. marleyboo

thanks for replies everybody i guessed it may not be okay .. never mind eh :)

its a shame i think it could have benefited somebody here at some point :0) xx

14. Lumboo

Lumboo PetForums VIP

In theory a lovely and charitable idea but practically impossible to administer. We are not even all in the same country to be able to start with putting this into practice.

Also, call me an old cynical fool, but you can't really trust all you read on the internet.

The best we can do as a caring virtual community is collectively offer our healing energy, best wishes, advice and support. Costs nothing, but actually makes a real difference.

Speaking personally, in times of great need and sorrow, a kind word and concern from virtual friends has meant my weight in gold to me. The sad thing is, those people will never know how they touched my heart and kept me going. Hopefully one day I will be able to do the same for another.

15. Kat1703

Kat1703 PetForums Senior

I think it's a lovely idea - but I don't think it would be too practical. I know lots of us are lovely, but this is all online, and my sceptical self just wouldn't trust it 100%.

16. marleyboo

i love your post this is pretty much what i am thinking myself just find it hard to say the words :)

i know that should somebody need it it will be gone quickly.. i just think it would be great if there was a group of people in the same situation at some point they may need to use it... i understand ti would probably get complicated too ..

sorry mods , but thanks for letting us discuss the idea :)xxxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice