Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitty feeding habit

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by meeka's-mom, Aug 17, 2009.

1. meeka's-mom

meeka's-mom PetForums Junior

Hi all,

I have a 14 week old kitty (Meeka) and she has been with us for 4 weeks and has been an angel to have around up until 3 days ago, my problem is she gets nasty when she wants more food, this morning the result was a swipe to my 10 year olds head and cut her quite badly. I feed her regulary and she has kitten biscuits out in between, she knows where the food is kept and I wondered if there was anyway I could teach her to go to the cupboard and meow when she is hungry rather than dig her claws in or is this a tall order???

Any advice (or critisism :p) would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

2. rottiesloveragdolls

My Advise would be to LEAVE DRY foods down for her to eat as and when she wants to eat it day and night, Wet foods give morning and evening she will soon get to realise the supply of food is there for her and she wont feel the need to get nasty as she shouldnt be hungry, has she been wormed! this could be a sign as to why she is so hungry? BTW Welcome to the mad house :p

3. KittyKat1

KittyKat1 PetForums Member

The first thing that comes to mind is that she's in an excited state when its feeding time, and anyone coming near her is an 'attack' on her food.
    I think it might be good if you get her food ready when she isn't around, and call her making a specific sound. The purpose of this is that when she hears you she knows its dinner time - not whenever she wants food.
    My 3 cats know its dinner time when I whistle, and come running when I do!
    Another thing is , give her enough to eat in one sitting, no second helpings! It avoids the need to remove her bowl from her when she's excited!
    Hope this helps!
    Good luck

4. meeka's-mom

Hi, many thanks for the replies.

She has been wormed regulary so thats not the problem, I feed her wet food in the morning when I get up and she has 2 or 3 mouthfuls and loses interest, I only put out a small amount but still she leaves loads and after running round the house like a loony she goes back to it but turns her nose up as it isn't as fresh as it was an hour ago!! Yesterday she thought it would be a good idea to take a run up at me and dug her claws in my backside lol, that got my attention :D

I will definately only feed her wet food in the morning and at night and leave the biscuits out all day and see how it goes,

thanks for the advice and thanks for the welcome ;)

5. meeka's-mom

Update, Meeka didn't like the kitten food I was giving her, the shop only had kitten food with gravy and I guess it's the gravy she didn't like!!! I bought her some in jelly and seems back to her happy self!

I have kept to the 2 wet meals a day though leaving out dry food for the rest of the day and if I am honest she does prefer the dry food but she is no longer lashing out and is back to just zooming round the house.

many thanks again x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice