Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kittens :(

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by rainbowkisses, Jun 29, 2009.

1. rainbowkisses

rainbowkisses PetForums Newbie

My little miley 8 months old had 2 kittens on saturday but 1 died the first one and one lived...

She then had another 2 kittens on sunday the first one died again and the second lived...

I checked on the two little ones last night before i went to bed and everything seemed fine and they were fine also this morning, i check on them every 10 minutes or so to see if they are ok. But i have just checked them now and the one that survived on saturday has died im so sad right now i dont want the other to die also can anyone help or give me advice to why this is happening!

Please

Thanks

2. Tinks magic

Tinks magic PetForums Member

Your girl is very young to be having babies.

Is she feeding them ok what are their weights?

3. rainbowkisses

They weigh between 3 to 4 ounces

They were on her teats alot so i gues they got enough food

4. badbudgie

badbudgie PetForums Member

Sorry, no advice but just wanted to say sorry for the loss of the kittens.

My little Lola had Mani when she was only 6 months old when she was owned by her previous family.
    I imagine this must put kittens at more risk than usual.

Hopefully she can hang on to her last one, good luck.

5. thurrz

thurrz Banned

That`s way too young for your cat to have kittens.
    I hope your cat will be fine :)

6. spid

spid PetForums VIP

It is very possible that there is a blood group incompatiblilty - if mum is a 'B' blood group and has mated an 'A' blood group cat then the kittens get 'fading kitten syndrome' as the antibodies in mums milk react with their blood if they feed from mum in the first 16 hours and basically they can die (most do). If you don't know mum and dad's blood group the first time you realsie tere might be something amiss is when the kittens start dropping like flies. Unfortunately with moggies if you let them get pregnant by an unknown father this is always a risk. (I'm assuming she is a moggy and the father is unknown as she is so young). If this is the case then I'm afraid it is too late now to take them away and hand feed as it is the first 16 hours that are vital (after 16 hours they can go back to mum as the ability to absorb mums anitbodies is gone). I hope all goes well for the little one.

Nonnie and (deleted member) like this.
  7. bimbleweb

bimbleweb PetForums Member

Hope the little one is OK? x

8. rainbowkisses

Thanks for the info guys...

The little one is still alive she seems to be feeding well i just hope she says that way fingers crossed!

9. spid

spid PetForums VIP

It could be that that one is the right blood group - hope all continues to go well.

10. Hiya

Yes your girl is too young for a litter but no point harping on about that now...

A few questions first...

weights... you mention between 3-4 oz so thats roughly between 85-118g

has mum got lots of milk? can you get drops or spurts of milk when you squeeze her teats

do you know who dad is or what blood type they are (unlikely in moggie litters i know)

do you know exactly when mum got pg: could the kittens have been premature? 85g is a little on the small side for my liking.... its a similar weight to the biggest of a litter of preemies i tried to help a few weeks ago.

so.....

1) if mum has no milk then a trip to the vets might be in order... he may be able to give her a shot to help get the milk flowing, in the meantime you will need to get some formula and hand feed.

2) check kittens bottoms are fully developed, and try to stimulate for wee's and poo's. If mum is young she may not know to do this and kittens can die if they get all blocked up. you may need to do this a few times a day until mum gets the hang of things.

3) agree with spid, it could be a blood type anomoly. Its unlikely in moggie litters but it does and can happen. I'm afraid if this is the case there will be little you can do now as they will have all had colostrum from mum by now.

4) first time mums especially when they are still kittens themselves tend to have many more problems than older mums. You may have to chalk this one down to experience.

Hugs.... xxxx

11. rainbowkisses

I know this sounds disgusting but what colour should the kittens feces be, it seems to be orange is this normal?

If not i will take her to the vet stright away

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice