Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kittens with diarrhoea

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Jo Bailey, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Jo Bailey

Jo Bailey PetForums Newbie

Hi, I have 2 kittens, 4 months and 6 months old.
    The younger one has been struggling with diarrhoea since we had her and has been back a forward to the vets, diet changes, worming, antibiotics but nothing has helped! Now the older kitten has developed diarrhoea and im worried it may be something contiguous. The poop is very smelly and sometimes has blood in it.
    Does anyone know what could be causing this?
    Thanks

2. Ottery

Ottery Cat Lady

Poor kitties. Do they seem unwell, or are they bright and playful?
    It could be contagious but it could also be diet related if they both eat the same food.
    Am I right in thinking you said they eat mainly dry food? Dry food is not recommended for kittens, especially not as a main part of the diet. Have they put on a bland diet at any stage (cooked chicken)?
    Could you tell us something about their history - were they from a breeder, or a rescue centre?

3. Jo Bailey

Thanks for you reply!
    They both seem well and still playful, if anything they are a bit more needy and wanting attention!
    They both have the same food which the 6 month old had been on since we got him but not thinking its diet related as he has been fine up until a few weeks ago!
    They have been tried on boiled chicken and still having problems.

They are from different breeders.

Im sending off a poop sample on Monday and hoping this will find the problem!

4. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums Senior

I would start them both on a probiotic in the mean time while you wait for the faecal test. Make sure it is a 3 day pooled sample and that the stool sample is tested for t foetus. Personally I use Bioglan (a human probiotic) which you can get from amazon, Holland & Barrett. As what ever is going on they likely have an imbalance in gut flora. I start off with an 1/8th if a capsule working up to 1/2 capsule twice a day.

Jo Bailey likes this.
  5. Jo Bailey

Thank you, I will give it a try!

6. Ottery

Ottery Cat Lady

Let us know the results of the tests. Glad to hear they still seem lively though!

Jo Bailey likes this.
  7. Jo Bailey

I will do!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice