Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kittens weight gain

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Momo12, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Momo12

Momo12 PetForums Member

Hi All,
    Just wondered if someone could let me know what the average weight gain is per day in newborns they are putting on around 12-16grams a day so is that ok? they seem content and happy so suppose it can't be bad.:):)

Mo xxx

2. Tje

Tje Banned

Sounds good to me. :thumbup:

Text-book weight gain is around 100 grams per week, which is + - 15 grams per day. But it can easily be 8 grams gain one day and 30grams the next (kinda thing). As long as it averages out at around 100grams (or of course more) in a week, they’re doing great. One day (or even two days ) with a slight loss is nothing too much to worry about, you could always top up with a bottle if you wanted to. Any drastic weight loss should send alarm bells ringing. Or any static period lasting more than a day or two should not be ignored.

Good to hear they’re doing so well :)

3. Momo12

Momo12 PetForums Member

Cheers Tje, I thought is was ok but wanted to be sure, my daughter said are u going to weigh them every day? so I said well its the only way of making sure all is ok really so glad am doing that right, thanks again:thumbup:

Mo xxx

4. purrlover

purrlover PetForums Senior

hi mo ... it all sounds like its going well at yours x the weight gain sounds pretty good to me , have you named yours yet ? ..we have we got louis , arthur, george, and lizzie , and they are all doing really well so far :thumbup:the little one that i was worried about cos he dropped a bit of weight is doing well .. he dropped down to 89grams 12 hours after being born (born sat morn) i weighed them at 9.30 tonight and he was 130 gram... and .. he went right back on the nipple ..:) my vet called me today (just a out the blue ..bless him) and he said if the kittens seem content at the nipple and when they are in a kitten heap ..and they are gaining weight thats all a good sign , so im feeeling better, im sure i didnt fret this much with my own kids! and ive got it all to come again ...rosie is due next tuesdaythe 15th !! :eek:love to you all , julie x

5. Tje

Tje Banned

Maybe I'm a bit anal... but I strongly recommend weighing them every day (in the first 2-3 weeks I weigh twice a day, morning and evening). I call my kitchen scales my early warning system, lol. So often the scales have been a life-saver for me. Sometimes the kittens get ill or the mother isn’t producing enough milk, and I don’t see anything untoward (initially). But when you pop them on the scale and see a 40gram weight loss… well you know something’s up. And while it’s not that unusual for a kitten to loose 15 grams in a day, if there are 5 kittens in the litter and they’ve all lost a significant amount of weight…. well it’s a signal that something ain’t right. So yes, I swear by my trusted scales, my pen and my bit of paper. Lol. High tech it ain’t, but it works for me. ;)

6. Momo12

Momo12 PetForums Member

Hi Julie...So pleased to hear little George doing so well thats really good news and the others of course, yeh think I'm doing everything right,they all seem ok so thats good,we have named the first born which is the stripey one Boo at the moment the other is being called blackie cos thats the colour of it so will see how personality etc develops and decide on definite name soon, I'm not sure what sex they are tho i did have a look when they were born but i get so confused,I did think they were both boys but am definately not 100% on that one I've looked at the diagrams on here and everything but stil not sure:lol::lol: nice of the vet to call you makes you feel better something like that doesn't it, let's hope all is plain sailing with Rosie at least you will be more experienced than you were with Honey:thumbup: love to all

Mo xx

7. Tje

Tje Banned

Bless him indeed! That is ever so sweet and kind. Wish more vets were like that. In fact, lol, wouldn't mind if my own GP took a leaf out of your vet's book! I love your kitten names... I've had a George and an Arthur too.

8. Momo12

Momo12 PetForums Member

Yes its the only way isn't it I'm writing mine on a pad and done a little graph thing, so my daughter says can you make that graph any smaller, doesn't matter how small it is as long as it tells me the info,so i'm as high tech as you by the sounds of it, kitchen scales are such a life saver eh am so glad I renewed mine a while back and got the flat digital ones makes it so easy and i will continue to weigh everyday have no fear about that one its part of my daily routine now:lol::lol:

Mo xx

Mo xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice