Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kittens treading in poo

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Bigsize9foot, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Bigsize9foot

Bigsize9foot PetForums Member

Hi,
    My 9 week old boys are making an awful mess when using the tray. When they do a poo they duly try to cover it but end up stepping in it all and getting it all Over their feet (and my carpet and furniture)

is there any way to help with this?

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

It's something that can happen with kittens, some are a bit clumsy in the litter tray. They usually grow out of it within a month or so and become more adept.

Meanwhile things you can do which may help ------ provide large trays, a minimum of 2 trays (they will need 3 trays between the 2 of them as they get older)

Use a granular litter not wood pellets, and put a good depth of litter in the tray (e.g. 6 - 7 cms).

Use litter mats in front of the trays, they will trap litter caught on the kittens' feet and should trap some of the poo off their feet too. The mats can be scrubbed..

A soft stool would stick to the kittens' feet more than a firm stool would. If their stools are soft, it could be a dietary issue.

Bigsize9foot and Calvine like this.
  3. Bigsize9foot

Bigsize9foot PetForums Member

Thanks chillminx. We’ve done most of those things already except change from wood litter. We use catsan for our other cat and prefer that one but the kittens have been eating it. Our older ones did that as kittens too but grew out of it. I bought some paper based litter to try.

We’ve been using puppy pads by the trays rathe than mats but I could try changing over.

And you’re right- it’s worse when they have soft stools. We’re in transition over to some better food from zoo plus which has improved things massively but still the odd soft one.

we thought it might just be cos they are wee. Mostly we are here to catch them when they’ve been in the tray but we won’t always be. Hopefully by then they’ll have grown out of it. They aren’t very good at cleaning themselves up yet either!

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice