Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kittens poo smells of sick??

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Deleted member 1513104, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Just got a new Ragdoll kitten whose a gorgeous little girl but started doing poos that smell of sick??

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Baww20 and welcome :)

Do you mean her poos are light brown, soft or loose and wet looking? If so, they smell bad because the food is not being digested properly and is reaching the colon not fully processed. If food is not properly digested the poos can smell like vomit. Healthy cat poo has almost no smell to it, except when first deposited in the tray. (Though kitten poo does often smell a bit more than adult cat poo does)

Poos should be firm and formed and a dark brown colour. Kittens poo an average of twice a day. How does this compare with your kitten's poo?

Her digestion problems are likely to be due to her diet - or a sudden change of diet. Are you feeding her the same diet the breeder fed her?

3. Hello.

I’ve only had her since Saturday and when she came her poos were firm and didn’t smell, however since yesterday she’s had runny poos that smell of sick.

We are feeding her the same foods the breeder did. She has however been eating our other cats food out there bowl which is Whiskas cat meat but I know that that is known to be cheap and bad for pure breed cats. We keep taking her away from their bowl and trying to teach her to eat only her food. So I’m thinking its that which has caused her runny poo.

How long will it take for her poo to not smell and get back to normal?
    The small is awful.

Thank you.

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Baww20 - it is best to take her off cat food for a few days and feed her a bland diet of home cooked chicken to rest her bowel. Chicken thighs, legs or drumsticks. They are best cooked in the oven in a roasting pan to conserve the nutrients. Add about 5 cms of water to the roasting pan with the chicken and then cover with baking foil. Cook for one hour gas mark 5 top shelf of oven. Or use a slow cooker if you have one.

When cooked, drain off the juices into a pyrex bowl and refrigerate 12 hours, so the fat rises to the top. Skim it off and use for cooking or to add to your other cat's food. You are left with a nice nutritious jelly which you should add to your new cat's chicken meals, a couple of tablespoons a time, warmed if she prefers it. Serve the chicken chopped with the skin but without the bones. Feed her 4 meals a day.

She may pass no poos for several days, This is normal. When she passes a formed poo that is a good colour then gradually transfer her back to her cat food. Take about 3 days to make the transfer.

There is no point trying to train your kitten not to eat your other cat's food, it will not work. You need to feed the cats in separate rooms and supervise the meals always. This is really important. Your kitten's bowel will not get better if she keeps eating food that is not suitable for her. This especially applies to dry foods like GoCat.

Much better still would be to buy your other cat a microchip feeder so her food can't he stolen by the kitten. There is a special discount offer on these feeders at present if you order through Cats Protection.

https://www.cats.org.uk/shop/other-ways-to-help/surepetcare.

(NOTE: make sure you get the feeder with the arch over the top. The other type (called a sealed pet bowl) is not microchipped and any cat could gain access)

Have you wormed your cat since you got her?

5. I see.
    Hard thing is when we work we don’t have time to do all that.

So we are trying to just be careful in what she eats and feed her what her breeder fed her and hopefully it will get better.

With our cats we have to have them together, they have a routine for breakfast and tea so they know where and when they are eating and we can’t ruin that so they eat together. She’s is up to date with worming.

6. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

I'm sure you've seen her 'go' but I will ask just in case! Are you positive it isn't actually vomit? Kittens will frequently go into a litter tray to be sick and vomit and runny poo can look very similar. Sorry for being so descriptive!

7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Cooking some chicken in the oven is easy and takes very little preparation. It can be cooking at the same time as your own meal.

Cat vomit does not smell the same as human vomit. Cat vomit often has very little smell. I hate clearing up human vomit, because of the smell, but have no problem clearing up cat vomit.

If you want to feed them in the same room at the same time, then I advise buying a microchipped feeder for the older cat. That way you will not need to stand guard while they eat to stop kitty eating adult cat's food.

8. Our cats have been sick before and it definitely smells just as bad... not something I want to be clearing up.

Only our new kitten is microchipped not our others.

9. Yes haha. Yesterday we saw her go and had to clean it off her fur and that’s when we could smell the vomit smell.

10. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Baww20 - I suppose it depends on what they're being fed as to whether their vomit smells bad. Some cat foods smell appallingly bad, enough to make me heave and retch.

The cat foods I feed my cats smell fine, like food for humans, so do not smell bad if they come back
    as cat vomit. Though if it has has been sitting in the stomach for hours and comes out as a liquid then perhaps it may smell a bit.

Sometimes I've noticed that vomit from the cats in the Shelter where I volunteer smells a bit, but it is always from cats who are fed dry food.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice