Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

kittens please help

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by calamity, Mar 29, 2011.

1. calamity

calamity PetForums Newbie

Can som1 please help me... ive found three kittens in my mothers garden and they dont seem to be more than a day old, there was no sign of mummy and i didnt have the heart to leave them on the hope that she would come and get them so have brought them home after having no experience in looking after these little darlings im doin what i think is right as in using a plastic syringe to feed them warm milk, a warm bed ive made but beyond that im clueless......

2. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

I am not 100% on this but there could be a mum now desperately looking for kittens, she may have gone off to get food and although it is certainly dangerous for them to be outside, it is dangerous for them to be now taken away from mum aswell especially if your not experienced with young kittens.
    There are some breeders on here who hopefully will give you advice on the kittens because it is extremely important to do the right thing, what kind of milk are you using? they are not supposed to have human milk, are they really that young i presume their eyes are still shut? :(

3. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

Phone your local rescue centre, RSPCA or Cats Protection or Vet practise they will need special milk and feeding every two hours and help toileting, so you would be best handing them over to someone with experience.

4. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Hun I know you mean well but I'm not sure you should have taken them away. What I probably would have done is get a box and put lots of old towels in it and perhaps a hot water bottle (but only taking up at most a third of the box as you don't want them to over heat). Then I would have left them where they were, but sat out all night if needs be to give mum chance to come back. Then if she did I would call the RSPCA or CL first thing and beg them to come and trap mum and kittens and take them into care.

Please do not feed them milk ... in fact please call your local vet on their emergency number. If the kittens are very young like you say they will need kitten replacement milk to give them their much needed colostrum. Your vet might have some in, and they might even take over caring for them if you are lucky. Feeding kittens is a tricky skill, and the vet has more chance of getting it right, or better still a cat rescue person, who your vet might have an emergency number for.

Oh my, what a mess :(

5. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

Oh, this is awful.

Sadly, I can't offer any practical advice other than urge you to contact the RSPCA, Cat Protection or any local cat charity that may be near to where you live. The may have a foster home the kittens can go to. I hope so.

#5 dougal22, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2011
  6. Ren

Ren PetForums Senior

You should have waited for the mum to come back. I know it seems cruel to leave them but cats have been having litters in the wild for hundreds of thousands of years. Mum probably just left to find some food, then when she came back they could all have been rescued together!

Argh! :( Best of luck to the kitties, but I'm not too hopeful for them if they are as young as you claim.

7. honeysmummy

honeysmummy PetForums VIP

pls give us an update as soon as you can...i know you thought you were doing the right thing :)

god i hope they are going to be ok ...poor little kitties..the poor mum
    feel like crying :(

8. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

I would urge you to get these kittens to a vet tonight. They will have a cat rescue on their books no doubt and will know exactly who to contact straight away.

Plus if the kittens need some immediate care they are in the right place. Please don't try and do this yourself.

#8 Aurelia, Mar 29, 2011
  9. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

I hope they come back on to read this asap!

10. kunzy

kunzy Guest

take them to a animal shelter or something.

11. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

If the mods read this please don't pull the thread because a banned member has mentioned as we don't know if the OP has been back to read the advice yet, which I think is urgent and need to be heeded quickly.

#11 GreyHare, Mar 29, 2011
  12. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

Better not divert away from the original subject just incase :mad: but yes please OP come back and let us know what's happening, young kittens go downhill EXTREMELY quickly!

13. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

To the OP are you still with us ,have you managed to organise some professional help for these kittens.To the quick to judge other people, where are you now with your knowledge and invaluable help.

#13 buffie, Mar 29, 2011
  14. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

The OP logged off ages ago. Posted at 10.06pm, last activity 10.11pm, so they won't have seen the replies/advice about vet, RSPCA, Cat Prot. etc :(

15. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

It's scary to think if they don't come back on tonight, then things could turn really bad by the morning.. :(

16. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

So there is a strong possibility that they have posted the thread and left us to it.

17. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

A wind up?

18. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Gosh ,surely not :rolleyes:

19. calamity

calamity PetForums Newbie

thankyou all for ur advice and im not sure i should be on this forum as i actually live in lanzarote spain so we dont have the usual rescue shelters here as in the uk, i have been feeding the kittens baby milk and cooled boiled water every two hrs, ive also made a nest for them in a box with some towels and hot water bottle... where i found the kittens in the garden i actually waited all day for mummy to come back and i was out of sight so she wouldnt feel threatened but nothing...so first thing in the morning i will be goin to the equivalant of the cat rescue called sara in lanzarote n they can take over....i know i shouldnt but i named them riggler, squeeks and vera lol as that one was found stuck under an aloe vera plant...thanx again.....

20. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

I hope all goes well though you might want to mention the aloe vera because I *think* it's poisonous to cats.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice