Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kittens playing or fighting?

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Alice Gale, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Alice Gale

Alice Gale PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

We have two little kittens - one around 8 weeks old (Mei), the other 11 weeks old (Azula).

We had a bit of trouble integrating them as the bigger one would relentlessly chase the little one, who wasn't impressed! Little one would hiss and meow angrily whenever bigger one got near, and bigger one wouldn't leave off!

They seem to be doing much better now after we reintroduced them slowly. They chase each other around a lot and the play seems fairly reciprocal. However, I'm not sure all is well as little one is still quite noisy when they 'play', and I've read that play should ideally be silent. Little one often meows and sometimes hisses when bigger one wrestles her, but confusingly, even when little one seems to get really upset, she will always go back and approach bigger one for more.

Is some noise acceptable in play? Might they actually be fighting? I also wonder if the age/size difference is relevant - little Mei is quite a bit smaller than Azula!

Many thanks for reading, see (slightly blurry) pics attached. :)

Attached Files:

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Alice Gale and welcome :)

What cute, pretty kittens!

Kittens do not always play silently. Usually they do, but if they get excited or wound up then some miaowing or a bit of hissing is not uncommon. And it will vary from one individual to another. As Mei always goes back for more play-fighting I am sure she is OK.

But if you feel anytime that little Mei is getting upset then you can intervene by distracting the kittens with a toy or some treats. :)

3. Jen8971

Jen8971 PetForums Member

I don't have any helpful advice as I have only ever had 1 cat at a time, but I have to comment on your kitten names! Is that an ATLA reference? Love it! :Cat

4. Alice Gale

Thank you, very helpful! We do have to shove a Kong toy in between them sometimes but they're getting better every day. :)

chillminx likes this.
  5. Alice Gale

Haha yes it is! So you're a fan? :D (Though annoyingly, we found out we spelt Mei wrong (it's 'Mai' in the show!), oops :Cat) We did consider getting Azula a brother instead of a sister and calling him Zuko haha ;)

Jen8971 likes this.
  6. Jen8971

Jen8971 PetForums Member

Haha yes long time fan, due a rewatch soon on Netflix I think! Aww that would have been very cute! But Mei and Azula works very well too :Cat They are very cute! Hopefully they'll get used to each other soon and become good friends :)

7. Alice Gale

Me too, so happy it's on Netflix now!

Yeah the kittens are doing better every day, little one hasn't been making too much noise today so fingers crossed they form a proper bond eventually! :Cat

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice