Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kittens not Pooing

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by JediRabs, May 29, 2020.

1. JediRabs

JediRabs PetForums Newbie

Hi Everyone!

I’m a new cat mum to two kitten sisters (approx. 8 weeks old) who I picked up 2 days ago (Thursday evening). Both kittens are settling in well, eating and drinking plenty of water, playing a lot and sleeping well.

Both kittens have peed in the litter tray but neither one has pooed yet. It’s been 48 hours and, although I’m hoping that it’s just a case of adjusting to a new home environment and new food, I am starting to get a bit worried about constipation. I’ve had to stop one of the kittens from trying to eat the litter. Vets are not registering any pets at the moment because of covid, so I’m looking for advice on how to try and get both babies to poo.

Would anyone be able to offer any advice? The kittens are eating Felix kitten wet food pouches, as well as fresh poached cod which I’m blending with water to get additional water into them. Are there any natural remedies I can try to help them empty their bowels?

Many thanks in advance!

Rabs

2. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

I asked a Mod to move your post to cat health where I hope more cat people will see it.
    You could contact the breeder for advice. Even if you are not registered with a vet they should see a pet if it is an emergency so I would ring your local vet.

3. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

It's not uncommon for kittens in their new homes not to poo for several days.

Unfortunately, white fish will not help; it would usually be fed for several days for the opposite problem and they should not have had their diet changed from that which the breeder was feeding.

They are really too young to have left the breeder. Do keep a close eye on them eating cat litter and ensure it's a type safe for kittens- ingested litter can cause serious problems.

chillminx likes this.
  4. JediRabs

JediRabs PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the info. I was told by the seller that the kittens were ready to leave mum. I’ve moved them back on to the Whiskas kitten food they were on before I got them, and I woke up this morning to find two little poos in the litter box.

Thanks for letting me know about the white fish - I gave it to them because I was worried they hadn’t eaten anything in the first 24 hours I had them, and I just wanted them to eat something rather than be hungry. I didn’t know it wouldn’t help them go to the bathroom.

I’ll keep an eye on them to make sure they carry on pooing, and take them to an emergency vet if anything changes. For now they seem to be more comfortable, happy and active.

gskinner123 and chillminx like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice