Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kittens Incoming!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by LittleEms, Sep 23, 2020.

1. LittleEms

LittleEms PetForums Senior

So I haven't been here for a bit, but I wanted to share some photos of two little kittens that will be coming home soon :)
    One of my friends cat's had an accidental pregnancy and these are two of the babies, a boy and a girl. In the pictures, the boy is the one sitting up more, the girl is curled up. They will be 8 weeks on 1st October, not got a set date to bring them home but will be around that time I expect.

I've never had kittens so I'm very excited. We do have an older cat in the house at the moment, but hopefully it will work out as these two will have each other and won't pester him too much. They will be starting in our dining room (that is very rarely used!), and it has a glass door to the conservatory which is one of our older cat's favourite places, so he can observe them through that and hopefully get used to them being in there before we introduce. Any tips on introducing will be greatfully received! He's quite set in his ways as has been an only cat for a while, but he does like to take himself off exploring or sleeping most of the day and night, so hoping to be able to keep the kittens mostly playing with each other and he can observe or take himself off and not be too bothered.
    IMG_0375.JPEG
    IMG_0391.JPEG
    IMG_0397.JPG

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Awww, they are very cute and only babies still with their blue eyes. xx :)

3. LittleEms

Yes still little babies! Their eyes don’t look that blue in real life, definitely starting to change colour!
    They will be called Bramble and Bugsy :)

I am sure I will find answers through searching here, so I will look, but I was just wondering about the introductions with our older cat. After we move to them meeting with no barrier, would mutual fussing/pets work instead of mutual play? Our older cat rarely plays with anything, but he does enjoy a fuss.

4. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Kittens need to stay with their mother for at least 12 weeks.

Continuing a pregnancy is never an accident, hopefully they can at least be responsible enough to not let the poor kittens go underage.

teddylion and Ringypie like this.
  5. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Hi,
    They are very cute and I love the names :)

I think mutual fussing and treats, as you are thinking would be good.
    You can also try scent swapping with cloth on the kittens and then in your adult cat and then back a day or so before they meet.

As mentioned, it would be good as you have committed to take them, if your friend keeps them a little longer with their mother. It will help their social and emotional development.

They have interesting, visible tabby patterns in their fur. Was the light strong when the photos were taken? Can you also see the pattern well in person?

6. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

They are gorgeous, love their names too

7. LittleEms

Thanks all!
    We confirmed a date of the 14th so they will be 10 weeks by then. My friend is about to have a baby of her own so 12 weeks while obviously better will be pushing it very close for her.

You can see the pattern in the sun, it is getting clearer each time I see them! Mum is a long haired tabby and the dad is a short haired black cat. I hope the tabby comes out a little more, I think it will be lovely!

Summercat and chillminx like this.
  8. LittleEms

So I have a question for anyone who might have an answer! (Figured I'd add to my thread as it's the same kittens).

When they come home I will be with them for the first 5 days and they will also have someone on the 6th day all day. From then on, 2 days a week there will be nobody there for 7-8 hours (a working day). The other 5 days of the week someone will be home. Is that okay to do? They will have each other and I am slowly accumulating lots of toys and things for them before they arrive. I am considering too getting a pet camera if anyone has any recommendations?

9. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

They will probably be OK. Don't give them the run of the house to start with, and don't overload on the toy front. A lot of the most successful toys are free things like cardboard boxes (you can cut the odd ambush hole in them), crumpled bits of aluminium foil, paper bags and so on. The toy that I think is really worth buying is the Da Bird type. And also they need several litter trays especially to start with.

I hope your friend has got her cat spayed by now, or has an appointment for that, and is being vigilant at keeping her in until then.

gskinner123 likes this.
  10. LittleEms

They will be in our dining room which is fairly large and mostly unused for at least a week I think. I'm not going too crazy, have some mouse things, ping pong balls and a few bits like that we have already as our older cat has never played with them. Getting them a hidey hole bed with a scratcher mat on it too. And lots of scrunched up paper haha. I have a couple of litter trays coming (our other cat goes outside), I believe they currently share one, but I have ordered two.

As for mum cat - I don't think she is spayed yet, I will ask if she's booked in. I imagine they will get her done as I don't think they want any more litters with a tiny baby of their own.

11. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

They didn't plan this one, I wonder if they know female cats (like women!) can get pregnant again whilst nursing? And that the more she wants to go out the more likely she is to be in call... Two doors between her and the outside is the solution, with only 1 ever open at once.

12. LittleEms

I certainly didn't know it was that quick. I feel like she does - she's had a few cats over the years and I know at least one litter before this one. In any case I will ask, and absolutely get these two done as soon as they can be! Going to be calling my vet today to arrange their jabs and ask about how soon they would be happy to do that op.

OrientalSlave likes this.
  13. LittleEms

Just wanted to share my new favourite picture of little Bugsy, he’s such a lap cat bless him.
    Also I am sure you will all be pleased to know that mum cat is booked in to be spayed :)
    B9977C94-AA57-44E4-9F3C-07C72170A3AF.jpeg

14. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@LittleEms
    That is such a sweet photo of Bugsy❤️

LittleEms likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice