Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kittens in Pet Shops

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by KittieMooCat, Jul 27, 2009.

1. KittieMooCat

KittieMooCat PetForums Newbie

Hello everyone... I was wondering if you could answer a question for me.
    Is it legal to sell kittens in pet shops?
    I was so upset on saturday. I went to our local pet shop and they had a 9 week old kitten for sale for £69!!!!
    I must admit I nearly bought him just to get him out of there!!
    Thanks for any replies in advance......

2. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

i thought it was illegal to sell dogs and cats in pet shops, so yes. You can advertise them in their windows/noticeboards but im certain you cant actually sell them in shops!!!! poor thing

3. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

You can obtain licenses to do so.

There's a pet shop in Manchester that has a large selection of dog breeds with some moggie kittens on display too. They are fully license to do so, whether you agree is another matter. They are rarer than they are in other countries - I was horrified to find a pet shop in nearly every mall I went to in the USA with a large selection of puppy breeds in tiny, tiny pens.

4. Im afraid that it is legal for them to be sold in pet shops, puppies also, but it shouldnt be allowed. People need to be made aware of where they actually get their pets from...Not reputable breeders like they claim...but kitten & puppy, farms. If people stopped buying from the pet shops it would break the animal farmings down.
    You did the right thing by not buying the kitten, no matter how sorry you feel for it. By buying it you would be helping the cruel trade out to produce more for the pet shop.

5. kidsandcats

kidsandcats PetForums Member

I also saw a pet shop in a shopping mall in Spain. 4 poor little kittens shut up in a cage outside the shop. The poor things were so frightened with all the passers by and children stopping and squeeling at them and poking their fingers in the cage. They really didn't look very healthy either and were sitting in their own urine and poo. There was also a huge snake that was in the middle of devouring a poor little mouse for the shoppers to see too. It was awful!!

6. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

I have seen a few here and most have been really good but the one in my town is dreadfull. Ive been tempted several times but i just push myself to keep walking even tho the cats and dogs are siiting in their own urine and poo :mad:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice