Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Kittens going outdoors

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Bigsize9foot, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Bigsize9foot

Bigsize9foot PetForums Junior

Is there an ideal age for kittens to be allowed outdoors? I’ve had cats all my life but actually can’t rememver what I’ve done with others...

My two are 8 months old. We live very rurally. They love to be out and will cry insessantly if not allowed out. I’ve been letting them out for about a month. They stay out for a while then come home. They’ve recently started to hunt.

I’m wondering now if it’s too soon? Especially with Archie’s recent illness and is having no idea what they’re up to out there. However I think I would have real difficulty in keeping them in now and it seems crueller to keep them in somehow.

Thoughts? X

2. Saf

Saf Banned

Only you can answer that question by weighing up all the factors - such as where you live and the character of your cats, there isn't a right or wrong answer because every case is different.

Pinto and Bigsize9foot like this.
  3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I live in a quiet rural area too and have chosen not to allow any of my past or present cats outdoors until they were at least a year old. I felt they were prone to take silly risks with their safety before that. But as yours are already going out now, it would be difficult to turn back the clock and keep them in.

Hopefully you have trained your two in recall, so they will come as soon as you call them. I have operated a system where if I have not seen them for an hour in winter (and hour and a half in summer) I call them in. They are always shut indoors at night and not allowed out in the morning until the birds have finished feeding at the bird feeders. My two girls (whom I have had since they were kittens) are restricted to the garden and are called indoors at dusk.

buffie and jill3 like this.
  4. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

I think 8 months is a little too young. Have you thought of putting a harness on them and walking them round your garden? We have cat proofed our garden and even though they are safe we make sure that they do not go out too early and are always in before Dusk. I like Birds and this cuts down any being caught.
    Even though you are in a rural area there are still dangers a round. Cars seem to drive fast on country lanes. Maybe you get the local Hunt wit the hounds in your area?
    I have had out door cats in the past and i have nothing against cats being outdoors it is just weighing up the pros and cons.
    Plus I am a complete worrier having had them go missing in the past and then finding them 6 weeks later.

buffie likes this.
  5. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Personally I wouldn't allow any cats "freedom to roam" as I don't think it is safe to do so but that is my decision and you may feel differently .
    I would however suggest that even if you think it is safe to allow your cats to roam it would be a better idea to keep them in until they are at least a year old and hopefully less "kitten headed".

lorilu and Daisycat17 like this.
  6. Tanya Cray

Tanya Cray PetForums Junior

I have 5 cats 3 ragdolls who are in door cats and 2 tabbys. My Charlie is now 12 his a tank I will add a photo of him to this he has been out since he was about 9/10 months his never been one to go far only really into the garden and will sit on the roof of the shed or fence. He thinks he is a king or some kind of gard. His the only one of my cats who I do allow to go out because of how his personality is.
    Daisy my other tabby well she is skitty and scared of her own shadow if I put her in the garden she freaks and has never made a break for freedom and of course raggies are indoor cats ( but yes there is time 2 of them made a bid for freedom.)

Now I have bored you on my cats I will explain I had a cat house fitted it runs up the outside of my house like a encloser where the cats can get out from a downstairs window. The reason I had this fitted was I lost both Charlies mum and sister to the road. In 2016 I lost my poppy also to the road. I had poppy from a few days old her eyes was not open cord attach hand feed every 1/2 hours day and night at first for 2 years it killed me when I lost her. It hurt when I lost Sasha and coco also.

The raggies Twixiebell and Oskar well oskar got out (indoor cats and a 6 year old not always easy) I was lucky enough yo find him after about 2/3 hours but it took a few weeks to recover I don't know what happened or where he went but over the next few days he lost all his fur went off food he suffered with stress from the advantage he had let's say he learnt the hard way like any man.

My girlie was taken i had the microchip place looking all the vets in area posters you name it 3 months she was gone. I had a call from the vets who was aware she was missing saying a couple had brought her in and claimed she was there's and they had brought her from me. I would of hated being that vet to tell them they are not taking her home she is not there's thankfully that microchip gave me back my girl.

I don't want to scare you or put you off letting your cats out as many households do, and cats are fine however dangers do happen they are real. My advice would be to anyone is to try a cat encloser rather then free roaming it stops alot of heartache and pain and saves kitty's x 20170703_191556-EFFECTS.jpg

7. Georgia Hughes

Georgia Hughes PetForums Newbie

I have two cats/kittens who are now 9 months old, started introducing them to the garden at about 6 months and they are now allowed to go out using the cat flap when they want to. The first couple times letting them out I would sit outside with them just to see how they do and they loved it!! I live on the side of a road and letting my cats out is always so daunting since I lost one of my cats last year when she was hit by a car, however cats naturally love the outdoors and keeping them inside all the time would be really difficult but saying that, my cats hardly go outside and love being with me most of the time!!!

8. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

In your situation I would be keeping my cats as indoor cats or cat proofing the garden/building a run ,I just couldn't take that risk again.

chillminx and Tanya Cray like this.
  9. Georgia Hughes

I'd definetly prefer them living as indoor cats but after letting them have a roam outside during the summer it's hard to stop them now. Also have a 15 year old cat who's always been able to go outdoors, so stopping the kittens would also mean stopping him which he wouldn't like, we have plenty of litter trays in the house to help them stay inside as much as possible, but can't completely restrict them unfortunately

10. Tanya Cray

Have you looked into getting a cat house built. My 12 year old goes out and the others are not fussed by it at all. The are happy to go and get air in their little house.

11. Georgia Hughes

That is a possibility, but the garden is really awkwardly positioned. Whenever I've been out with them they're just playing in the garden together, and they are really good with coming when being called. They also spend 90% of they're time inside anyway :)

12. Tanya Cray

That's cool bless them 90% in doors good kittys. my Charlie is like that spends his time being king of the shed. Our cat house runs against the wall of the house as our garden is also a odd shape. I have to say my son and daughter do take them out on leads in the summer months. X

13. Georgia Hughes

Aw bless them :)

14. Bigsize9foot

Bigsize9foot PetForums Junior

So interesting hearing everyone’s opinions. I suppose it’s a very personal choice. My heart tells me there is a risk with them going out but I have to take that risk to allow them to be their happiest. If I kept them indoors they’d be miserable and I feel I would be doing it for selfish reasons. But that’s just my situation for my kitties xx

15. Georgia Hughes

That's exactly how I feel!! Although I've had one of the worst things happen after letting my cats go outdoors, they love going out and all mine seem to do is catch leaves and play! I also live in a village not a town so the surrounding fields are perfect for my cats to explore and be in their element

Bigsize9foot likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice