Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kittens getting bored of N.I flavours...what to do?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by ChrisKon, Apr 22, 2013.

1. ChrisKon

ChrisKon PetForums Junior

Hey all,

Max and Buena have been on Natural Instinct's raw diet for roughly 4 months which they much prefer to wet food now!

However, for the past month, they have turned their noses up at a few flavours which only leaves them with Venison and rabbit and a bulk left over of other flavours!! They do eat chicken/lamb and chicken/beef but only when it's freshly opened. After that, the food just gets a dis-heartened sniff and that's it!

Is there any way to keep the food fresh? Can I semi de-freeze, take a bit out then freeze again? I don't think cutting fully frozen food is possible!!

I'm slightly concerned that if they just eat rabbit/venison they'll just get bored of it and will stop eating it all!!!

As always, I'm grateful for any advice given.

2. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Mine far FAR prefer food if it is freshly defrosted each day. The tubs of NI can be defrosted overnight in the fridge and then portioned up into daily sized servings. these can then be re-frozen and a new one taken out each day.
    I think there is a question mark over the proper balance of the rabbit and venison flavours so personally would not feed those alone.
    Would you consider making your own at all as that would give you better control and allow for more variety.

3. ChrisKon

Thanks Paddy, I'll definitely give that a try. I've actually questioned just feeding venison/rabbit however it just doesn't sit right with me as I know they need and get nutrients from other meats, which is another reason why I want to sort this out.

As for making my own raw food, have most certainly given it a thought however with my very busy schedule, I don't think I have the extra time or brain power to go down that route yet!

I also wanted to put some fish into their diet as they used to polish off their tuna tins (Cosma) however, Zooplus do not not stock this anymore!

Would've been fine if they ate wet food as well, but they're apparently to posh for that now!!!! :rolleyes:

Does anyone know of any other reputable complete raw food suppliers?

Thanks

4. KathinUK

KathinUK PetForums Senior

Hi Natures Menu say their version should be available this month.

HTH
    Kath

5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

6. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

It really does not take long to make up a batch Kriskon, and there is SO much satisfaction in being in control.:p

7. Toby Tyler

Toby Tyler Banned

8. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

Also I think a member on here trialled the NM and wasn't impressed at all. Agree it doesn't take long to make up a batch. The cats much prefer it as well to the NI and honeys

9. ChrisKon

Hmmmmm...Maybe I should just make time to make raw myself!

I've also got a good source where I can get my meat from as well....

But where do I start??? Is there a step by step guide to raw feeding anywhere?

Might have to give it a go next week! Ha, looking forward to this now! :w00t:

10. Toby Tyler

Toby Tyler Banned

Congratulations on deciding to make your own. Like PP says, it's really easy and there is a personal satisfaction in making your own. And you control the ingredients.

You've already got the first step covered, a good source for your meat. ;)

Here is a link to cover the basics and different methods of feeding raw...

CatCentric.org - Raw Feeding Your Cat: Just the Basics.

There are also some great threads here on the forum as well. Best of luck on your rawsome journey. Keep us posted.

11. anotheruser

anotheruser PetForums Senior

You can also read my thread on what I did about raw feeding.
    There are a number of different recipes out there, I just picked the one which was easiest for me.

12. Toby Tyler

Toby Tyler Banned

Was actually trying to find this thread to post here but gave up after not finding it and posted the link to catcentric.

This should be a sticky thread. Now I will at least have something to search with your username :D

13. ChrisKon

Fantastic thread anotheruser! And a great link Toby T!

Thank you very much, I will keep everyone posted as to how I get along with my 'rawsome journey'! :thumbup1:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice