Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kittens eyes

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Savva, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Savva

Savva PetForums Newbie

My kitten is 11 weeks old now and still has blue eyes will they change colour or will they remain blue? He's a red half mainecoon and half norweigian forest cat

Attached Files:

chillminx likes this.
  2. Savva

Savva PetForums Newbie

Here's another pic of him

Attached Files:

chillminx likes this.
  3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi :) Awww he's very, very, very cute! I love ginger cats, longhairs especially (I have one myself) :) He will be an absolute stunner as an adult, I am certain of it! :)

To me it looks as though his eyes are greeny-blue rather than blue. If so they're already in the process of changing colour, which starts around 6 or 7 weeks old and can last until 3 months old. The Maine Coon breed and the NFC breed are not cats who usually keep blue eyes as adults.

4. Franlow

Franlow Guest

Can I ask how you know he is 1/2 mc & 1/2 NFC?
    He is absolutely gorgeous & the eyes are lovely, but, he looks absolutely nothing like my MC at that age, I am no expert though.
    I mainly say that as Argie was an ugly little gremlin at that age & your boy is a sweetie. He had green eyes totally by that age, he was also hairier & had very hairy paw pads and a squarer head.

#4 Franlow, Jul 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2017
  5. Savva

Savva PetForums Newbie

Thank you He is adorable!! that's what I thought, I've had him since he was 6 weeks old and they have not changed at all in the 5 weeks that I've had him. I know it's very uncommon for those breeds to have blue eyes unless they are white. I have a feeling maybe they'll turn green

chillminx likes this.
  6. Savva

Savva PetForums Newbie

#7 Savva, Jul 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  7. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

To have blue eyes as an adult, a cat must either be white or colour point and your lovely boy is neither. When I was breeding Orientals, I used to be pleased if my kittens' eyes did not turn green too soon because that could mean they went past green to yellow as they grew up. Some of the Orientals with the greenest eyes do not get their full colour until they are between 1 and 2 years old. A friend who bred Abyssinians has a line where their eyes go green when they are senior cats, often after they are 10. That was a good thing for her because Abys are supposed to have orange eyes.

8. Savva

Savva PetForums Newbie

9. Savva

Savva PetForums Newbie

wow, that's so interesting. I just have to be patient and wait to see what colour they turn. Every kitten in his litter eyed had changed colour while his still remained bright blue...he is obviously a slow developer lol xx

10. Chellacat

Chellacat PetForums Senior

Hi is beautiful! What a handsome boy! It looks as if, as has been said, his eyes will be green. His coat colours are very striking!
    This was my Sasha at ten weeks he is an MC
    2016-05-12 11.24.23-1.jpg

11. Savva

Savva PetForums Newbie

Thank you!! Oh my gosh , I'm in love with him!!! He is beautiful!!

12. Franlow

Franlow Guest

Do you know the owners of those 2 cats. I know it is hard to tell from the tummy, but, she doesn't look overly true to type to me & if you got him from preloved / gumtree etc, you could have paid a lot of money for a long haired / semi long haired moggie. Not that paperwork will make him any the less gorgeous. You can download 'pedigree papers' from the internet, or knock them up on a word processing program.
    If she is a pedigree Maine Coon, she should definitely not have been bred & if he was a Pedigree wedgie,he would have been registered & If she was on the active register, there is no way she would have been allowed to mate with a non Maine Coon.
    The whole idea of breeding pedigrees is to get your babies as close as possible to the breed standard. People who breed unregistered cats, don't get the testing done for things like HCM, PKD etc, mainly because all they are interested in is money. A pedigree kitten doesn't leave the parents until it is 13 weeks. Will be vet checked & have had its jabs, some are even chipped & neutered. If you have had this boy since he was 6 weeks old, it is way too early.
    A maine coon is a seriously big, chunky cat with an incredibly long tail, chunky body, very long with very large tufted ears & furry pads to feet with tufts between the toes.

13. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

Your kitten is lovely, and will have green eyes which from the pic look to be coming in.

Unfortunately, he is neither MC nor Wedgie, neither of his parents are true to type and look very much to be crosses. This won't change the joy your lovely kitten brings to your life (although I'm very concerned you got him at 6 weeks?), he is a very handsome moggy :)

Franlow likes this.
  14. Savva

Savva PetForums Newbie

It sounds like the breeder obviously lied to me then...I knew the dad wasn't full NFC but I was to believe the mum was. I was ment to have him at 8 weeks but The owner had a death in the family and alot of issues..so I had him 2 weeks early which did concern me but he was eating fine and settled straight in xx

15. Franlow

Franlow Guest

Back yard breeders lie like a cheap watch. They have no interest in the kittens, just ship them out & breed some more. Sadly, you could have adopted a long haired kitten from any rescue centre I would guess for a fraction of what you paid. My MC cost £450, he wasn't the best, or the worst of the breed, just an average thick headed lump. I really wanted a Black Smoke. Please get your lad neutered & don't try breeding with him. There are tens of thousands of unwanted kittens in shelters at this time of year, please don't add to them.

16. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

Yes you've been very much fibbed to. Generally it is best to go to a breeder with a registered pedigree or a rescue, perhaps something for the future if you want to add to your family?

Unfortunately eating and settling are no indication of them being fine - cats will do what they need to to survive. Often behavioural issues will manifest when they're older and they won't behave like "normal" cats. They're often a bit odd as those extra 2 weeks with mum make an enormous difference in teaching them how to "cat".

There's nothing you can do about it now, of course, and you're doing your best for him which is exactly what you need to do. Perhaps just keep in mind what we've said if you want to add to your furry family in future, as it will be better for you, him, and any new arrival.

He's a lovely boy, looking forward to seeing more of him on the forum :)

chillminx and Savva like this.
  17. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

Do you know what colour the mother is? I assume she is red and white since that fluffy belly looks white but her colour round her ears looks pale for red.

18. Savva

Savva PetForums Newbie

They classed her as Apricot, cream coloured.

19. Franlow

Franlow Guest

http://www.mcbfa.org/mainecooncolors.html
    Maine coons don't come in apricot. her colour, if she was a pedigree her colour would be written on the certificate, maybe in a number & letter - Lithium is a 27c which is a lilac Burmese.
    Can't find Argies at the moment, but the top says something like (crazycooncatz Winston mistymuzzle) that bit is made up whatever the breeder named them this is usually not what the owner calls the cat. The Crazycooncatz is the prefix the breeders use & is kind of like a trademark, only their cats can be called this
    Winston Mistymuzzle is usually a mixture of the parent lineage i.e Dad will be Winston wolf, Mum will be Mistymuzzle fuzzybritches
    Under that it will say Black smoke Male Maine Coon
    Lilac female Burmese etc. The colour is always on the pedigree papers. Hope this helps if you are ever in this situation again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice