Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

kittens due anytime now???

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by smidd, Aug 26, 2013.

1. smidd

smidd PetForums Newbie

hello i posted a few weeks ago regarding a cat who we took in after her elderly owner died. she is very pregnant i esstimate around nine weeks now as we took her to the vets 2 weeks back and he said she was 7 weeks as we coukd see the kittens kicking. anyway long story short she is now a huge rugby bal shape which seems to have shiffted backwards more towards her bottom. she still has an enormus appertite and drinks lots of water. she is on kitten wet and dry food. today all she has really done is sleep but i noticed her nipples are leaking milk... does this mean we will have kittens soon? her nest is ready but she is showing no interest in it and profers to lig out under the table. any advice would be great thanks x

2. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

yes this means you have kittens due anytime between now and 3 days time.
    Get ready.:)

3. smidd

smidd PetForums Newbie

hi thanks for your reply.... is there anything which could go wrong in her giving birth if so what shouod i look out for..... and so forth...sorry for all the questions... was not expecting an expecting cat in our home. my other 2 cats who are both neuted and indoor cats the are giving the pregnant cat a very wide birth today.

4. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

I wont post all the things that can go wrong as you would then worry so much you wont be of any help to her, but saying this many things go right and it could be a text book labour and birth.

you may notice a discharge but normally they clean up quickly and i mostly miss this first sign, so you will notice the next stage of labour which is panting, growling and going round in circles washing herself.

Have a nesting box in a quiet room, she may ignore this until labour has begun so dont worry.
    Labour itself you will see a reddish bubble, this is the kitten being born, watch births on internet so you know what to expect.
    Have a warm damp flannel to hand incase mum doesnt clean kittens face, you will then need to wipe the nose and mouth area and sometimes rub the kittens to get them going but thats worse case here.
    Cords mum should do but if not dont panic cords can stay attached to kittens for upto a hour, i use cotton thread and tie the cord halfway between kitten and placenta, cut plancenta side, if you cut kitten side of the tie the kitten will bleed to death so be very careful, you can of course use your nails but i cant do this.

after mum has finished she will clean herself up, if you place you hand gently on her side when she is laid down feeding babies you maybe able to feel if she has anymore to come.

Very important..... if you can see the kitten half born and mum is still pushing after 20 minutes you have to get the vet quickly as the kitten will be stuck.

Ive probably missed alot of info out but the main thing is relax, if you are stressed mum will also get nervous, you want a nice relaxed birth so she doesnt stop contracting.

Having said this ive attended over 100 cat births and only had 4 i needed to intervine with, so 96% of the time all goes to plan.

A quiet nest is a happy nest, a squarky kitten needs attention, may not be getting enough milk so try and weigh the same time everyday, kittens do lose weight the first 2 days so dont worry, you will see tummies full and round, if it looks skinny then try and get the kitten latched on preferably back teat by her back legs as this is the most teats full of milk.

I doubt you will have any problems, happy to stay online during the birth if needed or give you my number to text or call anytime of day and night.

Any questions do ask, no point in you worrying if we have the answer. :)

5. smidd

smidd PetForums Newbie

thank you for all that info.... iam keeping a close eye on her as she is a very timmid cat anyway shes only about 14 months old as i remember when her previous owner got her as a kitten. will her age effect anything?

6. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

She will be fine, at this age she should be mature enough to stand kittening.

I have to go and do kittens now myself but will check back later to see if you have any questions.:)

7. smidd

smidd PetForums Newbie

still no kittens shes still leaking milk and is now hissing at the other cats who untill recently she was gettjng on fine with. ber sbape has changed i have arranged a vet cheak up on thursday.... the earlyest i could get. any ideas????

8. thatsafunnylookingcat

thatsafunnylookingcat PetForums Senior

Keep all the other cats well away from her, she will be uncomfortable and stressed with them around. She needs a room by herself so she can nest and birth in peace and quite.

9. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

Why have you arranged a vet check, are you concerned for mum and kittens or is it past due date?

Their shape does change as kittens will be moving into position ready for birth, this is normal.

I would keep her away from your other cats now, she will be in protective kitten mode ready for birth.

10. smidd

smidd PetForums Newbie

i have arranged for a check up with the vets well because of a few reasons shes devloped a limp and has a strange smell about her. no discharge that i have noticed. she has a large cardboard box lined in in fleace ( she loves fleecy things hence as to why i put it in there). the cardboard box is in a seperate room inwhich she feels comfortable in. i can still feel the kittens moving inside her so they are not my concern. my concern is the mother. she acting odd... shes very timmid anyway but today shes looked poorly. cant describe how or why... but you know your own cat.:)

11. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

I'd not wait until Thursday if she's limping and has an odour. See another clinic if you need to.

#11 spotty cats, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  12. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

Agree with SC, you need a vet today, just phone and say about the odour, they will fit you in as this can be a problem.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice