Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

kittens claws ruined

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by rubyyt, May 8, 2011.

1. rubyyt

rubyyt PetForums Newbie

last night my mothers kitten had climbed out the window of a 3 floor flat and we're assuming he's slid all the way down the brick work outside as his claws are completly ruined, almost non exsistant, they look like they've been shaved down with a nail file till there's nothing left :(

do we take him to the vet? is there anything they can do?

2. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

Oh dear... windows shut from now on... poor kitty.

Does he seem to be in pain? I dont think there is anything a vet can do except pain relief, unless they are down to the point they are bleeding which may need some sort of bandages :S

Has he been okay from the fall? I am on the first floor and I wouldnt want my cats falling out of my window...

3. rubyyt

rubyyt PetForums Newbie

he's really quiet :( he makes little noises when i look at his claws, there's dried on blood in between his claws, whats left of his claws i would say are about 1mm and they're all black.
    he's okay from the fall apart from his claws, was a bit dirty and has a couple of scratches on his face

deffinatly windows shut from now on!

4. sharon_gurney

sharon_gurney PetForums VIP

if it was one of mine, think it would be trip to vet just to check. Sounds like they're sore, and poor little mite may need some pain relief

5. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Did you find the kitten straight away or was he out for a little while? the reason Im asking is that worn down claws on cats is also a sign that theyve been hit by a vehicle, its one of the first things vets look at in a suspected rta.

6. gloworm*mushroom

Yep I would definitely get him to the vet now. Cats are very good at hiding pain and with a fall like that, I would get him checked over just to be on the safe side.

7. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I would take him to the vets as a precaution,he could have internal injuries .I agree with thedogsmother re the claws ,it could be a result of an RTA.

8. gloworm*mushroom

Urgh I didnt even think about rta :(

9. rubyyt

rubyyt PetForums Newbie

we think he has slid down the brick wall which has stopped him from falling all the way down 3 floors and really hurting himself, we found him at 7 in the morning, we think he had been out all night, he was hiding under our car which is off road in a private car park :confused:
    he's eating okay and jumping down from things, his walking is fine aswell :confused: poor little kitty :(

10. gloworm*mushroom

I would still take him to the vet as I'm finding it difficult to imagine him sliding down a wall and shaving his claws off completely. The blood would definitely have me at a vets

11. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Irrespective of how he may have damaged his claws to that extent, if it were my cat I would be at the vets now.

12. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

How old is the kitten, I would take them to the vets as I would imagine they are in a fair amount of pain as if it's one down to the quick it would be like having every single one of your finger/toe nails pulled off and the kitten could get an infection in them too :(

13. ameliajane

ameliajane PetForums VIP

Cats really do hide pain very well. Friend's cat came home one day dribbling slightly and a bit quiet. Ate normally over next week but was eventually taken to vet as he was still a little bit quiet.

Turned out he'd got a broken jaw :eek:

Had to have it wired up and he must have been in a lot of pain over that week but showed very little sign of it.

The fact that the kitten is quiet could well be an indication of pain. Might be worth a quick check over by your vet.

#13 ameliajane, May 8, 2011
    Last edited: May 8, 2011
  14. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Years ago one of our cats (SnagglePuss) came home with his nails worn right down, he seemed fine but was having trouble jumping onto the windowsill so we took him to the vets, Im glad we did as he had either been kicked, or attacked by a dog or in an rta, he had a huge loop of his bowel which had herniated and he needed immediate surgery, the vet said its unlikely he would have made it overnight. Snaggle didnt look ill and wasnt showing pain apart from being reluctant to jump on the windowsill.

15. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

Really needs to go to the vet asap, like others have said it could actually be a sign of a car hitting him when their claws are like that. Without seeing you can't be sure so better to be safe than sorry!

16. ajohnson

ajohnson Banned

Vets asap.

17. CandyApocalypse

CandyApocalypse PetForums Member

Please take the kitten to the vet. I have spoken on here before about how one of my male cats was found to have a rare condition called feline oesteopathy where necrosis sets into the bone and rots it away. One day he stood up and cried once, then seemed a bit quiet. Took him to the vets and he had a broken pelvis and almost lost his leg. Cats hide pain, yours is the same. I have never forgiven myself for the above, your cat might not seem injured, but may be

18. Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl PetForums VIP

will you please just take the poor cat to the vet

19. KirstyLouise

KirstyLouise PetForums Member

Go to the vets like everybodys saying you should as if he does have something wrong and you dont know about it and it could end up being serious.

Surely your first reaction would be to take the kitty to the vets well in my case it would be for there own health.

20. rubyyt

rubyyt PetForums Newbie

i took him to the vets the next day, they checked him over, they said he was fine, gave some pain relief and said his nails would grow back, just keep an eye on them in case of infection :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice