Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

kittens chewing

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by merothe, Jun 8, 2010.

1. merothe

merothe PetForums Senior

Hi

My kittens really enjoy chewing a good book or anything cardboard. They don't tend to go for wires or my furniture. I just figured it was teething but the vet says this normally is when they are around 6 months and mine are only 3 months.

So should I be discouraging their chewing as a bad habit - or will they just grow out of it? Equally I worry that if i let them chew cardboard boxes and they ingest bits of it that it might make them sick? Especially if it is coloured/glossy eg cereal packets, rather than plain...eg toilet roll tubes - which they LOVE

thanks

2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Hi

Dont know if it is ''normal'' but my kitten does this too.He also chews metal objects like my computer table legs and anything flat(in between biting me that is)He is 16wks and is teething ,Daughters cat was still chewing cardboard boxes at 16 yrs old but he didnt swallow any just left the livingroom floor littered with bits!:D

3. mlynnc

mlynnc PetForums Senior

Enzo is over a year old and still chews :(

He chews on our iron table which is REALLY irritating. Other favorite chews seem to be paper, cardboard, anything that makes a noise and anything squishy... like my partner's baseball cap (which he wasn't happy with!). I think Enzo is a dog... :eek:

4. lillylove

lillylove PetForums Member

Mine enjoys toilet rolls, the whole roll of loo paper plus the inside cardboard.
    She eats paper all the time and then spits it out all soggy.
    I found a few spots of blood on a paper ball yesterday so think she is teething or paper cut her gum. Hasn't stopped her

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice