Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kittens - boys or girls?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Milliepoochie, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

We took on a private rehome from a friend of a friend- drove 500km to pick her up.

Turns out she was pregnant so we now have three lovely cats.

Im interested to see what sex people think they are.

I thought two boys but sister in ław reckons one is a girl

We live in rural Poland where sadly spay / neuturing isnt the done thing although mum has now been done.

Anyway would be intrigued to know peoples opinions.

They are currently asleep on our wood burning stove on a rainy Sunday

Attached Files:

2. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Both boys, they are gorgeous! :)
    I would definitely get them neutered by 6 months of age, as boy cats can wander very far in search of a mate, and often they get lost far from home or injured or killed. I would take them to the same vet who spayed their mum. It's a much less invasive operation in boys than girls.

Lurcherlad and Milliepoochie like this.
  3. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Both boys.

Milliepoochie likes this.
  4. Milliepoochie

Thank you I thought so.

They really are the sweetest pair - they have been outside for the first time this weeks and absolutely loving life haha

We are undecided at the moment re neuturing to be honest.

5. Milliepoochie

Thank you :)

6. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

definitely get them neutered unless you want two male cats spraying all round your house !
    Plus, of course, if you leave them intact you'll be helping to add to the unwanted cat population :(

7. Milliepoochie

Eurgh ok sorry I didnt come here for neuturing advice.

I live in a very different environment to typical UK situation.

On most farms like ours cats live in the stables / outbuildings and are rarely neutured.

For now we have done what I believe is the responsible thing and had the mum spayed now babies are no longer really feeding from her.

We are undecided for a few reasons but will consider all options.

8. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Its not just neutering advice though ,it is in the best interest of the male cats to be neutered.
    It will help to prevent years of living with their hormones ruling their lives not to mention the benefits to their health.
    Responsibility isn't just having the females neutered it also means the males need the same consideration.

teddylion, Lurcherlad and Bertie'sMum like this.
  9. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

Please do consider neutering as a good option. We are well aware that in Poland, neutering isn't 'the done thing' since many of us contribute food to a member's desperate attempts to deal with the problems created as a consequence. You might like to read her thread to aid you in your decision.

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/homeless-nightmare.501954/

If you have entire males, you will not be able to control where they may sire kittens so their welfare will be beyond your control.

10. Milliepoochie

I really dont need to be patronised by reading about animal welfare problems in Poland.

I live here... very rural and see it most days.

I asked for opinions but not to be lectured on neutering the boys.

We drove 1/2 way across the country in lock down to pick up this cat from a friend of a friend.

We have looked after her / her kittens and done what I believe is the right thing and prevented her from having kittens. She has been locked in the house for near on 14-16 weeks now until kittens were old enough for our vet to spay her.

Not that I need to explain myself but we neutured our last cat who we lost recently after it was very clear he was being bullied by the local Toms.

The house opposite us alone has 6 cats - one we know was coming into our barn and taking food.

So this is one reason - its not a clear cut decision for us - we are not decided on what is best at this stage for our boys.

11. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

I cannot imagine what made you think I was being superior in my response. It was not my intention. If anything, your post to which mine was replying, implied we in the UK were not aware of the situation in Poland, which I suppose in itself could be interpreted as 'patronising.' I was attempting to clarify our position but, if you have no concern for all the unwanted cats produced by free roaming entire cats, obviously I will say nothing further.

12. Treaclesmum

I suppose the OP is saying that, due to the large numbers of other unneutered cats around where they live, they fear their kittens may get bullied if they are neutered and the others not. Entire cats are naturally dominant over neutered cats in cat society.

In this case, I would be inclined to suggest they build a large secure catio where their three young cats can experience the fun and freedom of outdoor life without the fear of other cats bullying them or stealing their food. I hope this may be a possibility worth considering.

#12 Treaclesmum, Sep 8, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  13. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

They are both very handsome :)
    Have you decided on names yet?

14. Milliepoochie

I have great concern for unwanted cats or I would not have driven to pick these up.

I have great concern for unwanted cats which is why the female has been kept in and now been spayed.

I live very rural in a country where peoples opinion on whats acceptable is very different to mine.

We have found for kittens in our hedge which we helped find homes with neighbours. I woke up at 10pm to another kitten on our back step which we kept safe until morning then returned to a neighbour.

I have come to realise I cannot change others nor worry about their issues but I can put my animals welfare first.

We have already had one neutured boy killed and know there are problems with a dominant Tom/Toms in the immediate area.

Its not as black and white as we can easily decide to neuter the boys and I feel I am being forced to jusitfy myself to people who will judge our decision.

Summercat likes this.
  15. Milliepoochie

Thank you - Cookie and Cappuccino ❤️

16. Treaclesmum

17. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

I think I understand what you are saying @Milliepoochie
    It is not an easy decision nor one you seem to be taking lightly.
    I am not sure a catio would work, as in the countryside, you can not prevent wandering cats from approaching it easily and that would be an issue. I think a member here had a wandering cat urinate on her cats catio, creating stress and problems with her own cats.
    Good luck with whatever you decide.

Milliepoochie and Whompingwillow like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice