Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

kittens born today ... 1 will not feed??

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by purrlover, Jun 5, 2010.

1. purrlover

purrlover PetForums Senior

hi all .. one of the kittens i found on the floor this morning doesnt seem to have had a feed yet ... i dont know for sure but ive only seen 3 feed ive also weighed them again kit 1 birth weight 93 g ..weight now 99g kit 2 birth weight 92 g ,,now 97 g kit 3 birth weight 93 g now 102 g and the one im worried about birth weight 91 g ..now 89 g ! do i interven now (i have some milk in ) or do i wait a bit longer ... its wriggerling about ... its sqeeking when i pick it up .. it just dont want to feed ...any quick advice would be great thank you x

2. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Have you held the kitten up to the teat for a while to see if she/he will take? Even squeeze mum's teat a bit to get some milk so you can gentle rub it on kits mouth to hopefully stimulate the suckling?

Try putting the kitten up to one of the hind teats as this will be the one producing the most milk, she/he will need a boost now.

To lose weight this early is not a good sign I don't think, and the others weight gain isn't much either. Is your queen in a nice quiet area away from distractions and possible dangers (things she might see as dangerous with young kittens to feed)?

Edit also: Has her teats filled a bit more than was seen in the pics you posted earlier?

3. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

I just looked at the weight from our babies after 12 hours for reference (though I know not all litters are the same) and all of our gained at least 10g in the first 12 hours, just to give you an idea.

Edit: Just thinking some more, was this the kitten you gave to mum to clean while you warmed the other one up? Is it possible the kit is cold still? Have you got a heat pad/source in the nest box?

#3 Aurelia, Jun 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  4. purrlover

the kittens are about 12 hours old now (the ones thats gained betwen 6 -9gram ) the kitten im worried about as been suckerling now for 25 mins so i will be keeping a close eye on him , yes hes one of the ones born and left on the floor (before i was there ) hes warm enough and squirming etc .. ill keep ya posted
    julie x he was born sometime between 5am and 7.40am

#4 purrlover, Jun 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  5. Momo12

Momo12 PetForums Member

oh thts a bit of good news yes julie? lets hope so eh fingers crossed for you all
    :):)
    Mo xxxxxx

6. purrlover

yeah mo ive got my fingers crossed :) all seems to be going well now xx

7. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Whew, that's better news! Hope the little mite puts on some good weight over the next 24hrs to catch up!

8. Momo12

Momo12 PetForums Member

oh thts so cool well done little kitty keep feeding all night so you catch up.:)

Mo xx

9. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

aww i hope he is ok, and starts to gain weight soon hun, fingers crossed for him.xxxxxx

10. purrlover

hi all .... all kittens are doing well , all gained weight most are 110 gram ish the little fella after dropping to 89 gram was at weigh time 102g , ive spoke to my vet whos not worried ... honey doing ok and getting used to motherhood ..the other cats have seen honey when she came out for a wander and rosie (who is also pregnant ) went to meet the babies ..it was the sweetest thing honey lead her to them ... honey jumped in with them and rosie watched her feed them licked honey on the head and then fell asleep :) so all at the moment seems to be going well
    julie x

11. colliemerles

aww bless, :) im so glad all is going well, when is Rosie due, awwww more kitties, :001_wub::001_wub::001_wub: you are lucky, a house full of kittties,:thumbup::thumbup:

12. Honeybunch

Honeybunch PetForums Member

Hi! I've just got back from being away seems I have missed a couple of births! Been catching up on thread glad all seems to be going well now for babies and Honey. Huge congratulations!! :thumbup: x

13. purrlover

thank you ... Rosie is due on the 15th june ..tho shes being very weird tonight ... she keep meowing after honeys babies... and shes finding out hidey holes ... :)

julie x

14. colliemerles

aww bless her, maybe shes confused as to why Honey has her babies and she doesnt lol, :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice