Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by SidBurns, Jan 31, 2012.

1. SidBurns

SidBurns PetForums Newbie

Morning peeps,

My Wife and I are looking for a kitten. We have been looking into the idea for 6-12 months and have read numerous websites, forums, books etc. My Wife would've got one a year back but I'm more sensible :wink: and have had a really good think about it so we're not rushing into something we'll regret as such at a later date.

I was wondering, is Cat Rescue/Protection the best place to go? I loath to go through Gumtree, Newspapers or Flea Bay!

Thanks very much in advance,

Craig.

2. Ingrid25

Ingrid25 PetForums VIP

yeah, i say rescues or breeders r probably the way to go.... you never know what you r getting on gumtree!
    have you got your eye on a breed or kitten in particular??? because if you have there r lots of people on here to give u advice on different breeds:)

3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Hi and welcome to the forum.I've just posted this link on your other thread on the rescue site....Cat Rescue Centres and Cats Seeking Homes in Lothian, Scotland... I think rescue is the best place to find your new furbabe,.Going through a rescue centre means that you are not giving money to the BYB's out there who are churning out litters of kittens.You would be helping them by rehoming one of the many homeless kittens/cats and any donation for the kitten will then be put back in to helping some other needy soul.Good luck.

4. swatton42

swatton42 PetForums Senior

I got my first rescue animal about a year and half a go and would never consider going anywhere other than a rescue now. That's just me though, it's your choice after all.

Every rescue is different. Some people say that the big rescue companies lose their 'customer contact and service' so you might not get all the information and support you need. Others say that the small, privately run rescues are too strict on their re-homing policies. It's just a matter of finding 1 that you agree with their policies and personal preferences at the end of the day.

Where abouts are you based? Try this link - http://www.animalrescuers.co.uk/ it might have some rescues in your area.

#4 swatton42, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  5. SidBurns

Excuse my ignorance but looking for a short-haired white and ginger one if possible and a male, again if possible...

Also I agree about 'giving back', would rather help other cats/kittens than fleece someone elses pockets!

Craig

6. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Having a "colour preference" will cut down your options greatly,why not just go and visit some of the rescue centres and see the kittens/cats available ,you never know you may fancy a black/white or grey or something else totally different ;)

7. steve90

steve90 PetForums Junior

Hi, I was in your position only 3 weeks ago. We wanted a kitten and had a look around. We decided to go and have a look at the local RSPCA place just to see what they had. They really opened our eyes to what was out there and tried to advise us on what was possibly the best to suit us and our situation- ie we were looking for a 3 month old young kitten but after talking with the people at the RSPCA, we came to the conclusion that we maybe didn't have quite as much time to sped with it as we thought we had to decided on a slightly older (6 months old) cat. I would certainly recommend going and having a look at your local rescue. It's nice to think that you are giving a cat another chance in life. The RSPCA weren't as quick as the breeders might be in letting you have your chosen one- ie we had to have home checks, etc but from start to finish the process only took a week. It will be the longest week of your life though!

As others have said, having a particular colour preference could narrow your search down too much. It might be better to go with an open mind and just see how you like the ones there. We went with a view to getting a tabby idealy but ended up with a black and white one!

Good luck with your search, please keep us updated!

8. SidBurns

Thanks for all the info' guys. If there is anything else you think may help, I'm all ears! :smile5:

No work getting done today between Kittens & Transfer Deadline Day! HAHA

9. sweetice2010

sweetice2010 PetForums Member

Steve I am currently waiting on a phone call from my local RSPCA regarding a home visit - I'm itching for them to ring me and get it sorted - cant wait to bring kitty home if the home visit goes well - What did they check when they came to your house ?

10. sweetice2010

Maybe have a look on here as this is how I found a kitty that Im waiting to hear back from the RSPCA about Cat Rescue Centres and Cats Seeking Homes in Lancashire

11. steve90

steve90 PetForums Junior

I know just how you feel, I found the waiting the hardest bit of the whole process. Honestly, don't worry about the home visit. On ours, we sat down with the lady and talked about our situation (ie employment, how long out of the house for per day, etc). We also talked about whether we had considered the costs involved in food, etc and whether we had thought about pet insurance. It was not hard at all and lasted all of twenty minutes. She didn't check anything other than having a quick look around the downstairs floor of the house, didn't go upstairs or anything. She filled in the sheet, and we took this to the RSPCA next morning and picked Jasper up (as soon as they opened!).

I know it's easy to say, but please don't worry about it. I was a bit worried about it but it really is nothing hard, you will be absolutely fine. I'm sure you will get your new kitty soon! Please let me know how it goes and take lots of pictures when you get him/her!

If you have any more questions about it that I can help with, please ask

12. sweetice2010

Do you work full time or part time?

Hmm ok cool - will defo let you know - hopefully hear from them soon - was in contact with RSPCA yesterday and she said she was going to send my information across to the in manchester to arrange a home visit but not heard anything yet

13. steve90

steve90 PetForums Junior

I work full time and my partner is a full time student teacher. I work locally so go back home for an hour at lunch but thats it.

Do keep on at the RSPCA, I had to chase them up but it took nearly a week

14. Lulus mum

Lulus mum PetForums VIP

Its so lovely to read a post from someone who has really thought about what owning a kitten or cat entails

Well done for coming on here-you will get lots lots advice and support

I am "mum" to 3 lovely cats
    Two of them-Dougal,15 and little Ollie,6, are ginger and white
    Our third is Rigsby a tabby,aged 15
    They all came from the Rescue I worked for,

I wondered if you had thought of adopting 2 together ,as we did?
    Rescues sometimes have 2 who they would like to home together
    They are company for each other when you are not there and no more work than having one
    Just a thought

We had such fun watching Rigsby and Dougal playing together when we adopted them at 12 weeks

Whatever you decide-there are always members on here to advise and support

Good luck in your search
    Maureen

15. sweetice2010

I emailed the lady this morning and she said she would chase up the other rspca that is meant to do the home visit - no word yet :(

16. SidBurns

Hi Maureen,

Good (and VERY quick) News!

We contacted Lothian Cat Rescue around 5pm last night, went to view two kittens then received 2/3 weeks ago and pick them up on Friday! We've been asked to make a £40 donation (per kitten) and they will neuter both cats for a further £60 so £140 in total. Considering we had been quoted around £120 for the neutering alone, seems preety good to me yes?

Now we are going to get everything ready tonight but can anyone recommend a carrier for kittens?

Thanks to EVERYONE for your help too :)

Craig (& Lisa)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice