Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten wont eat any good quality food! Help?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Justyna2000, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Justyna2000

Justyna2000 PetForums Newbie

Hi guys

I have an almost 5 month old kitten.

Shes always been on royal canin wet food chunks in jelly, so after researching i found this website and realised its not the best food!

So then I did a zooplus order, got bozita, animoda carny and simila but she will not touch it! she will rather go hungry and starve than eat it.

I tried mixing it in with her favourite food but she will not eat it. I wanted her to be on a good quality food but dont want her to starve so it always ends up me giving her royal canin!

Help is needed here please

2. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Hi,
    She likely just needs to get used to other brands as food, after having only been on one brand.
    You could tempt her with adding Thrive or other freeze dried treats crumbled on top.
    I would try introducing one new brand at a time.
    Is the Bozita chunks in jelly? If that is similar to the Royal Canin, I would try that one first.
    It may take a few tries to get used to the new food.

3. Justyna2000

Justyna2000 PetForums Newbie

I tried to put her onto natures menu when i first got her, but once again she would take one bite then sniff it and walk away, so she would just go hungry and rather not eat it! Now ive tried these new foods over the past 3 weeks and she will have a bite and walk off! Ive tried to crumble stuff on top but she will just eat around it.

Is there any food someone would recommend for picky eaters? Something at pets at home would be good as I am going this week for her and we dont have much choice over here.

Im worried the royal canin is bad for her and i dont want her to have problems in future:(

4. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

When wanting to introduce a new food into a cat's diet @chillminx always recommends that you just put a spoonful of the new food on a dish alongside the food that puss is used to. If they don't eat it first off, then bin it and try again. Usually they will be "tempted" to try the new food and eventually find they do like it.
    (Reminds me of my bro-in-law who is a very fussy eater, anything new on his plate is usually greeted with "don't like it" even when he hasn't even tasted it ! Funnily enough when he can be persuaded to try the "new" food he often finds he does like it :rolleyes:)

chillminx likes this.
  5. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Agree with above posts; but some cats can be very determined and mulish when it comes to not eating certain things. I have one similar, just loves junk food. (When I say ''junk food'', I am in no way suggesting it's cheap, but likely loaded with various sugars which make it palatable.) I have another who must have her plate in a certain room or the food is left untouched. :rolleyes:

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

You are so right hun! :D. One of mine has refused all my persuasive attempts over the last 7 years (since I adopted her) to have her diet widened, or to try any new foods. My best achievement with her has been to get her off the dry food she was used to in the Shelter.

She will only eat one make of wet food (..heaven help me if she ever goes off it!!) and it is not the best food either. I sneak a few chopped pieces of home cooked meat into her food, it can only be a few or she spots the intruders and refuses the whole dish. :( In spite of the narrow, less-than-perfect diet she is slim, lithe and healthy so I try not to worry. But without a doubt she is the most stubborn cat I have ever had when it comes to her food. I am glad my other 3 are not like that!

Betty6691 and Calvine like this.
  7. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

@chillminx this isn't very nice of me, but I am Soooo glad to see you have a super stubborn feeder as well!:Sorry
    Welcome!!:Hilarious

chillminx likes this.
  8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Thank you for the welcome hun! :D

Yes, with the best will in the world and all the subterfuge we can employ, there will always be some cats who just cannot be talked round to a better diet. ;). I refuse to make meal times a battle ground with her, so I have learnt to accept it.

SbanR likes this.
  9. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Another will eat Carny, MAC's, Feringa and the like providing it has just been opened within the last 15 minutes. If it has been in the fridge for half a day it's a resounding ''No''. It does smell better when it's newly opened I suppose.

chillminx likes this.
  10. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

Hello @Justyna2000 welcome to the Fussy Eaters club :)

I’m afraid I have a very determined boy, who no matter what will only eat junk food (and only certain batch numbers of one of them, don’t ask!), so this is just to say I share your pain. I thought when we adopted him that it would be easy to get him off the junk. Alas not :( it never happened. He was very ill last year and has been diagnosed with several problems, so now I’m just happy if he ears, no matter what it is!

Good luck, keep trying, your cat is only young so hopefully with perseverance you’ll get there :)

chillminx likes this.
  11. Nigar2711

Nigar2711 PetForums Junior

I havs tried before to put very little of the new food in with his old food. He will probably end up eating it and end up actually liking it.
    If that doen't work try mixing in some of those creamy/yoghurt/liquid treats if your cat has any that he likes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice