Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten won’t drink water

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Callidora, Sep 16, 2020 at 12:17 AM.

1. Callidora

Callidora PetForums Newbie

We adopted an 8 week old kitten 6 weeks ago, and aside from problems associated with FHV she’s the happiest, greediest little bundle. The problem is she won’t drink water, I’ve never had this problem before. She eats mountains of wet food, and she uses her litter tray a lot (she also likes cat milk as the odd treat, so I know she knows how to lap) so I know she’s hydrated. I’ve tried everything I can think of, I’ve tried various shaped bowls, different materials, water fountain, putting tuna juice or chicken broth in the water to flavour it etc, but she just seems baffled by it.
    Has anyone got any tips or suggestions that I haven’t yet thought of?

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Callidora -

If she is eating a wet food diet she is unlikely to need to drink water. My cats are all on wet food diets and it is very rare for them to drink any water, even though there are water bowls all around my home.

Cats are designed by nature to get their fluids in their food hence why wet food is best for them.

If kitty is peeing several times a day, nice big pees, not just teeny weeny puddles, then she is having enough fluids. :)

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Callidora

Ah that makes me feel better, thanks @chillminx. She’s the first cat I’ve ever had that isn’t keen on biscuits, so that’s probably why I’ve never known this before. I’m used to my cats sneaking drinks out of my water glass (because why drink your own when you can steal ‍♀️) When we adopted Gatsby, it was the height of summer and she was so tiny, I was syringe feeding her water and adding it to her wet food because I was so worried about her dehydrating in the heat. I guess I can relax now

chillminx likes this.
  4. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

During hot days you could add water to her wet food, to get a little extra fluids into her.

5. Callidora

That’s exactly what I did :) I also syringe fed it to her in small amounts. I was hoping by now she’d have started to drink by herself, but she sticks her face in the bowl, squeals, and runs off

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Callidora - if you are worried she might be dehydrated you can check in 2 ways -

1) lift her top lip and check her gums are pink and moist. 2/ Between your thumb and forefinger lift the scruff and let the scruff fall. It should spring back like elastic if she is hydrated.

7. Callidora

@chillminx yes I routinely did this at the time, thankfully she never actually showed any signs of dehydration, it’s my terrible paranoia that makes me worry. We lost my daughters girl Ziggy back in feb, she was happily playing and cleaning herself when I went to bed one night, got up in the morning and she’d crossed the bridge in her sleep. She had checkups every year of her life so we had no idea why, but since then I worry relentlessly, so if I ever ask silly paranoid questions, please forgive me

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice