Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten With Swollen Face - Allergic Reaction

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by lillytheunicorn, Mar 10, 2017.

1. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums VIP

Sweetie Kitten face become very swollen, it had been fine about an hour earlier. At first I thought I was going mad, but it continued to swell over the next 15 minutes. I took her straight to the vets, where she was diagnosed with an allergic reaction.

Sweetie had been out in the garden with me an hour earlier generally being mad, whilst I was cleaning out the rabbits and cutting the grass. The only difference to normal as we have an enclosed garden is access to the shed where the rabbits hay is and the grass cutting.

Has anyone else experienced this? I was so stressed during the consult, as to what had happen to cause her face to swell so quickly and I needed started work imminently that I did't ask any questions.

I have checked in with hubby who is at home with her and the swelling has gone down a little and she ate her dinner.

2. leashedForLife

were she mine, I wouldn't let her outside anymore - period. Such a severe reaction could easily become anaphylaxis, & be fatal in minutes.
    :( Not worth the risk, IME.

3. lillytheunicorn

She goes out in the garden most days, the only difference was access to the rabbits hay and I cut the grass. Can cats have a severe allergy to pollen or hay?
    I am not going to be letting her out in the garden for the near future, until I have some answers.

4. leashedForLife

unfortunately, without tests - & extensive ones - there's no way to know what she reacted to; anyone can become allergic to ANYthing, & it's not "novel" exposures that cause the problems - it's stuff U've already been exposed to, tolerated just fine, & now... U simply can't. :(
    As one example, in my elder sis' case, she'd never had any problem with shrimp; as a child, she rarely ate it, but as an adult in a deep-sea Southern port city, she ate shrimp, she cooked shrimp - not every day, of course, but something - a cup of soup, a stir-fry, an appetizer --- probly each month or 6-weeks or so; never any reaction.
    Suddenly in her late-40s, she had a reaction - facial swelling, itching, tingling, etc. Dr said, "no more shrimp, ever".
    A month later, she COOKED shrimp for her hubby, at home - & went to the E-R, they had to cut her wedding ring & engagement rings off, & give her steroids to open her airway, as she'd inhaled the steam. Her Dr gave her h***, what did U think U were doing, did U think i was kidding? --- She said, I thot i couldn't eat shrimp.
    No - that's not it; U can't TOUCH it, U can't be AROUND it, U can't have it in the HOUSE. Got it? -- U can't even enter a restaurant where they serve it, *safely*.
    It's familiar insults that suddenly become threats - not novelties. :confused: Go figure.

moggie14 likes this.
  5. Ali71

Ali71 PetForums VIP

6. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I too would suspect an insect sting, in fact it is reminding me of a post I read a few years back of a NFC breeding queen who was stung while in the outside run and tragically died from the reaction.
    Ask vet about use of Piriton which you could keep on hand at home just in case you notice anything similar again

7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

If she enjoys being outside, I'd carry on as normal and I wouldn't panic as it may never happen again. Just keep a close eye on her and maybe keep the shed door shut ;)

It could have been absolutely anything, a wasp, a bee, a spider, a sharp thorn, etc.

Keeping some Piriton handy is a good precaution but, hopefully, it's a on-off. :)

I've been stung by wasps a couple of times, and next time it might cause a bad reaction. Who knows? But I'm not going to stop leaving the house! :)

Calvine likes this.
  8. lillytheunicorn

Thank you everyone for your advice.

@Ali71 I checked the shed for wasps nests and I couldn't see one, but we definitely have bee's and wasps in our garden usually as Skye loves to eat them.

@Paddypaws, funnily enough Sweetie is a NFC and @Lurcherlad I have certizine from the vets for her and told to keep piriton handy. Which is easy as I always have to keep some for me.

She still looks like a funny looking British but is happy and playing.

I think now the stress has died down, I am less worried. Originally I thought she was poisoned from something in the shed but there isn't any thing harmful in there unless you count chicken manure.

Once the swelling has gone down, we will give her supervised access to the shed and cut the grass again with piriton on hand if her face does swell again, we will give her free access to the garden. Like you say people don't go out incase they get bitten, but incase she has a penchant for eating bees she could go outside after dark when the bees etc will have gone to bed. Loki sleeps inside during the day and outside at night in the summer as it's cooler in the house on the tiled floor.

#8 lillytheunicorn, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  9. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

This reminds me of once, some years ago when I was in the park with my dog and the grass there was being cut. By the time I got him home he had a similar reaction, lumps on his head and also on his belly.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice