Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

kitten with loose smelly stools

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by lunalou, May 25, 2014.

1. lunalou

lunalou PetForums Junior

Hi, im new here :) iv just taken in a 10 week old kitten after being told by her owner that she was to ill to care for her. when she dropped her off she had nothing with her but the owner said she had had her since about 6 weeks old and that he had to have only whiskers dry food as anything else gave her an upset stomach. so iv been out and brought her some whiskers dry mix (my other cat has a wet food and biscuits as a very occassional treat) and this morning she has had 3 very loose and very smelly poops. iv not changed anything in her diet and her owner is being less than helpful and is just responding with she never did that here. I know she hasn't had any of my other cats wet food as i got my partner to sit between them incase one tried to get the others food.
    she is also very small for 10 weeks and very slim. I am only small and can fit my hand all the way around her stomach easily and can feel every bone.
    does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? I will be booking her in at the vets for a check up tuesday morning but wondered if i could do something in the mean time? iv never had anything like this with my other cat :(
    thanks x

2. catslovelycats

catslovelycats PetForums Junior

Mmmm. Loose stools are common when kittens start in a new home. I know that from experience. HOwever, she was taken from her mum too early (if it was 6 weeks). I don't know if that could have upset her system? Does she want to eat and is she lively? I've got my own issues with a poorly kitten, so not sure I can bets advise, but I've never had a healthy kitten whose stools didn't firm up after a couple of days. My kitten is also on whiskas. I will be swapping her onto a different barnd when she has settled. Whiskas has a tendency to make poos stink and can sometimes pass through veru quickly, which leaves me wondering what goodness kittens get from it.
    You're doing the right thing to try her on the food she is already eating.
    Sorry I can't really help but hope you find her fit and well soon.

3. lunalou

lunalou PetForums Junior

hi thank you for the reply :) yes she is very lively and full of energy. she always seems to be hungry, she tried to get my curry last night, im having to stand up to eat so she doesnt get my food haha.
    I know she left her mum to early which is very sad :( im hoping my older cat will help teacher her things she may have missed out on from mum.
    her previous owner has just told me she had ice cream 3 days ago but id image that would have worked its way through her system before now :(
    im hoping to slowly introduce meat once she is settled x

4. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome :)
    My first thought is worms - has she been wormed do you know?
    If not then try to begin a worming treatment as soon as possible.
    With an upset tummy offering poached chicken and the water it is cooked in can be great, also plain white fish steamed in the microwave. To keep up hydration diluted goats milk is good too.
    Good to hear that you are taking her to the vet for a check over just to be on the safe side as she is so young.
    Good luck, hope she improves soon.

5. lunalou

lunalou PetForums Junior

she hasnt said that she had :( pet shop is closed until tuesday aswell :( ill have to see if sainsburies have anything in but they aren't to great for pet products

thank you for your reply x

6. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

Ooh meant to say please don't buy a wormer from the supermarket! Especially any Bob Martin products. They can be dangerous and are also ineffective.
    Forgot it was bank holiday :eek: Waiting til your vet visit on Tuesday will be fine and they can give you a decent product to use :)

7. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

If you go to Sainsburys please don't get anything by Bob Martin to treat kitten. I would try poaching some chicken in water and giving kitten that. You can give the cooking water as well to keep hydration levels up. See what effect that has. What colour are the kittens eyes? Wondering if it is actually younger than you've been told as it is so small.

Kittens go down hill very quickly so please get to a vet before Tuesday if you are at all worried

8. lunalou

lunalou PetForums Junior

oh thanks for that :) i usually go to the local pet shop x

9. lunalou

lunalou PetForums Junior

they are blue just turning slightly green by the looks of them i noticed it was an unusual colour. if she gets worse ill take her down to pdsa as they do emergancy treatment over bank holidays. ill wait until we see a vet for the worming treatment to be on the safe side x

10. catslovelycats

catslovelycats PetForums Junior

If you've got a Pets@Home near you, they may have a vet and they are open 7 days a week. I know because I've just phoned to register my poorly kitten and have an appointment this afternoon. If you can get to them, it would save having to wait until Tues to see another vet.

I agree about supermarket treatments. Rubbish and potentially dangerous. I always get worming and flea treatments from my vet. yes they cost more, but they work and you know they are safe.

11. Mum to Missy

Mum to Missy PetForums VIP

Great advice already given, the only things I can add is seeing as she is mainly on a dry food that she may have an intolerence to the cereals they put in the dry food to bulk things up or as my Willowbee has, an intolerence to beef, this caused very loose, very smelly stools.

Please keep a close eye on her for dehydration, if she has loose stools and is eating dry this could easily happen.

And I can only back the others up on the Bob Martin products, please don't buy any.

Good luck, please let us know how she gets on :)

We'd love to see pics :D

12. lunalou

lunalou PetForums Junior

i do have a pets and home but its only small and doesnt have a vets inside and tbh i dont trust the staff at pets at home to advice me correctly x

13. lunalou

lunalou PetForums Junior

erm i think i just attached a picture of luna :) the kitten x

eta... it didnt work :( i dont know how

14. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

I believe kittens eyes change from blue by 8 weeks so she may well be younger than you think.
    Definitely try the bland food and keep up hydration, she should be OK til Tuesday but please do take her sooner if she gets any worse.

I can't see the picture hun :)

15. lunalou

lunalou PetForums Junior

okay thanks iv just double checked they are deffo still blue :(

16. lunalou

lunalou PetForums Junior

20140523_221508.jpg

luna our kitten :)

17. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

Oh bless, she is a little sweetheart :001_wub:

18. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I agree with the others ^^ start Luna on the poached chicken diet today, adding plenty of the poaching water to try and keep her hydrated. Keep her on this diet until her stools firm up. Only then should you transfer her to a wet food diet.

I would not give her dry food at all. Dry food can actually cause diarrhoea in sensitive tummies and can also cause constipation.

Dry food also causes chronic low level dehydration and thus steals moisture from the bowel, so that stools become firmer, sometimes hard. This then masks any underlying illness, such as a bacterial infection.

Your vet will give you Milbemax total wormer, or Panacur paste probably to treat for worms. If worming does not solve the problem, then you'd need to get 3 days of stool samples tested for bacterial infection or parasites.

Only when all this has been done and tests are negative should dietary intolerance be considered as the cause of the diarrhoea. If that is the case, then dry food should still be avoided.

19. lunalou

lunalou PetForums Junior

thanks for that :) iv been and brought that so she will be having it soon :)
    20140525_145507.jpg
    with her eyes open :)
    20140525_145440.jpg
    and my big boy :) 1 years old

20. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

That's great, please do let us know how she gets on :thumbup1:
    They are both gorgeous! I have to say in my opinion Luna does look younger than 10 weeks so please do keep a close eye on her :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice