Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

kitten with fractured leg in jury

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by mrflash23, Jan 6, 2012.

1. mrflash23

mrflash23 PetForums Newbie

i dont know where to post this but i guess this is the right place, so i have a 5 month old cat and she recently injured her ankle on her left back leg, she was hoping around for a day so after that i took her to the vet, and they told me what was the problem it was her ankle indeed, the vet think she fell or something fell on her and her leg was all the way high, so she gave me the option to splint it or have surgery, i went with the splint

So i have 2 questions, so after that my vet told me to check her leg so see if it was a different color and i could check her feet to see if it is cause the splint maybe to tight, but when i came home the day of the splint i could not see her feet anymore in the splint, and that was just yesterday, so i dont know if blood is not circulating or not and i was wondering what should i do? or should i just take her back to the vet to get it re wrapped again?

My 2nd question is when she told me i had the option to choose the splint, she said there is a chance that she may not walk right again, so im asking how accurate is that, has anybody had any experience with this?

P.S. Im new to these forums so im hoping im in the right place to answer this question

2. marie2263

marie2263 PetForums Member

My kitten injured his back leg when he was about 4 months old but he recovered within the third day, you poor kitten sounds like she has injured herself badly, Your best bet is to take your cat to the vet for peace of mind for yourself as well as the kitten.

3. mrflash23

Thanks for the answers, i most likely will talk to my vet today about the splint on her

4. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Sounds as if the splint might have slipped.

When did the injury occur? I assume the leg was X-rayed which revealed the fracture. How bad was it? Since you haven't mentioned cage rest it's worth noting you need to immobilise the leg as much as possible and limit movement to maximise chances of a successful union particularly if a splint is involved, as bones can very quickly slip out of line. After a few weeks it's advisable to have an X-ray to check how it's healing. Depending on the nature of the fracture surgery in most cases is a much better option in terms of guaranteeing the best all round outcome.

Now-I cannot emphasise enough how vigilant you must be about checking circulation etc when a limb is splinted. It's extremely important to notify your vet immediately if you notice any swelling, strange odour, change in termperature, splint slippage etc. Also it's important to remember the splint will need to be changed very regularly in order to examine the limp properly. Unfortunately, splints have been responsible for many limb amputations in the past.

5. mrflash23

Thanks for the answers, Alittle update on her, i took her to the vet today and yep the splint did slip alittle bit, and thank god there was blood circulating in her leg, and also yes the vet gave her x ray, thats how i found out about the ankle, she just said that where the joint is to her ankle its alittle bit out of place, this fractured ankle happened on this past monday i suppose, because when i came home from work that day i noticed she was hoping and her leg was all the way up and she was trying to stand on it but i can tell that everytime when she tried she would kind of shake alittle bit and she was fine the day before and the morning before i left for work, i usually let her run around in the living room alot, but thats all and i keep my other doors close in my apartment, so after i choose the splint she told me that of course i would have to come every week to get it changed out like you said, and i already set up my next appointment, and now i keep her in a play peen in the living room so that she could rest in her pet house instead of running around.

So i hope she heals and walks right afterwards, she said i would have to come back 2-6 weeks and if its still not healed than it would be longer, but she seems almost back to normal, she has been eating drinking her water using the bathroom very normally, the only thing is she is not as hyper as she use to be, running around and all, but now it looks like she is almost back to normal with the hyperness now, but i know the cats are prideful and they dont show any signs of them in pain at least thats what my friend told me

I just really hope i done the right thing of getting the splint, but when my vet told that she has done splints in the past to kittens they have healed and walked right, but yet she told me there is a chance that she might not walk right after the splint.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice