Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten with diarrhoea... please help!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Jo Bailey, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Jo Bailey

Jo Bailey PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    My 6 month okld kitten has been suffering with diarrhoea since I had, stool samples were sent off and this confirmed Tritrichomonas, she had antibiotics for this but diarrhoea continued after treatment. I went back to the vets as they suggested diet change and told me to give her royal canin hypoallergenic, this has helped and she is now diarrhoea free, however ive been told this is not a suitable diet for a kitten....
    Any recommendations on good kitten food which may help with what is probably a food intolerance/sensitivity would be much appreciated!

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Jo Bailey, Tritrichomonas can he hard to get rid of. If you have found a food that your kitten likes and it has cured the diarrhoea it is usually best to stick with it for a while, say up to a year.

However, Royal Canin Hypoallergenic is, as far as I know a dry food, and that may be why you have been told it is not a suitable food for a kitten. If it were me I would prefer to feed a kitten a sensitive wet food as it will ensure a better fluid intake and be healthier for her bladder and kidney function.

The wet version of the RC Hypoallergenic is still, as far as I am aware, called Sensitivity Control, and you can buy it in bulk online from places such as Zooplus:

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats...canin_vet_diet_wet_cat/veterinary_diet/516254

The food is probably on a par with supermarket foods such as Felix in terms of quality. But feeding her Felix may not cure her diarrhoea, that's the thing. At least the RC Sensitivity is better than the dry RC.

At 6 months old she should be getting all the nutrients she needs from the RC wet diet. Hopefully she won't need to be on it forever, anyway.

3. Jo Bailey

Jo Bailey PetForums Newbie

@chillminx thank you for your reply, I will try out the wet food and see how she gets on!

chillminx likes this.
  4. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Was your kitten treated with Ronidazole? Sometimes a second round is needed before the TF clears. It’s not generally difficult to clear, few cats are treatment resistant.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice