UK Pet Forums Forum banner

Kitten with diarrhea after vet

603 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Gosza 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I’m looking for some guidance; yesterday I took my kitten (around 8-9 weeks old), it supposed to be first vaccination but he since coming home for first time (Friday 26th) he was having quite loose poop.
I was slowly changing his food from wiskhas kitten food (which he was fed before coming to me) to nature menu for kittens, I have wild freedom for kittens on order which I late so I got best I could from local pet store. I was swapping slowly by mixing but after couple meals I noticed he just eats bites from nature menu so went full nature menu; he seems to love it, he eats very well, drinking a lot water and I always put a spoon or two of water in his food as well. I don’t need him any dry food as I want to go as natural for him as possible and I was advised that dry food might cause dehydration.
so... back to main point. We went to vet and it was decided that before doing jabs we will deal with poop issue because his temperature was slightly raised (still in normal range but higher than it should be). We were give 3 days course of dewormer and probiotic pro-Kolin advanced and was told to give him some plain boiled chicken. After we came home he was still given kitten food as I had to go out to get chicken and before I got chicken I noticed his poop starting to hold some kind of shape, it was still very soft but not completely loose. So I’m the evening I boiled chicken throughly waited until it cooled down and shredded it before giving to kitten. He ate is, no problem, but in the night first time since coming home he had pooped outside his litter box and it was completely loose, water like, much more loose than on any point before, in the morning he had little bit more chicken and again poop (this time in litter box) completely loose and much more smelly than before. Now I don’t know if it was the chicken or is it side effect of first dose of dewormer? I have my mind on going back to kitten food but maybe you have any advice?
Other than poop problem he’s perfect little fella, jumpy, active doesn’t seem like somethings is bothering him.
Apologies for this very long poop post but I’ve seen so many experienced cat owners I feel very confident that this community will guide me! Many thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
He is probable pooping outside of his litter box due to his upset stomach. Once that has cleared up, he should go back to using his litter box, he probably can’t quite get there in time.

The wormer can cause upset stomach which should resolve quickly, the plain boiled chicken is nice and easy on his digestive system and the pro-kaolin will help firm him up and slow the transit of food down. The wormer should have cleared any worms that may have been there. He should hopefully be as right as rain in a few days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.