Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten with cat flu - Help!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by KittyKat1, Aug 8, 2009.

1. KittyKat1

KittyKat1 PetForums Member

My smallest and youngest kitten Bru has cat flu. My three cats have all been vaccinated against it, but I guess he always had the virus. His nose was always runny but when his eyes became runny, I began to get worried.
    He always had a great appetite and loved affection so I made extra time for him as he was poorly.
    Long story short, his eye has gotten much worse, I took him to the vet and he has a bad ulcer. The vet is worried that his eye may need to be removed.
    I feel so so bad. He's now on antibiotics and eye ointment but if he doesn't get better I fear the worst.
    Any advice on what I should do/be doing?

2. Crocky

Crocky PetForums Junior

I just read your post... How is he doing now? Is it getting better?
    Never experienced anything like this, so I can't really give you any advice. Have you talked about it with the vet? He must be able to give you some advice.
    I really hope it heals quickly so he can keep his eye... Poor little thing...

3. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

poor Bru i hope he gets well soon i know its hard but try not to worry too much it sounds like the vet is doing all he can if it is any consolation i had a cat many years ago that lost his eye he was shot with an air rifle he lived to 11 years old i think the amount of operations he had shortened his life but he had a good life i made sure of that

viv xx

4. KittyKat1

KittyKat1 PetForums Member

Thanks for your replies.
    He's doing a little better. He's becoming more and more active as the days go on. His eye though is still looking very sore. He can't open it fully and his inner eyelid covers most of what can be seen. The eye ointment however has stopped the pus oozing, so I hope that it is a good sign!
    I'll keep an update on the forum.
    What really scares me is how fast he became so much worse. I hope nobody has a similar situation. Bru is the runt of the litter, and his sister died before I adopted him, so you can imagine the environment he was in before being rescued. It really is amazing how affectionate he is despite everything that has happened to him.

5. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I feel your pain hun! When I had Tabitha and Merlin they had cat flu continuously, the vet was so worried that we had to test them for FIV :(

I can't suggest anything more than what you're doing now. It's horrible to see them in such a way. I wish him a speedy recovery x

6. Crocky

Crocky PetForums Junior

I'm glad he's on the better hand, even if it's just a little bit...
    Still, I wish him a very speedy recovery!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice