Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten with a possible heart mumur?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Holly1234, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Holly1234

Holly1234 PetForums Newbie

I have just bought home a beautiful new kitten who was going to be my first breeding queen, but on a visit to the vets for a checkup I was told she heard very slight heart mumur. She did say it may be nothing but wants me to come back for a second opinion from another vet. Obviously I'm really worried, one for the poor kittens health and two because I'm assuming she will no longer be suitable for breeding and I paid quite a lot of money! The breeder I purchased her from assured me she would give me a full refund and take her back if there is something wrong but she's such a lovely kitten I don't want to give her up! I'll probably end up keeping her as a pet, but I was hoping for some reassurrace to set my mind at ease before I take her back because I'm so worried for her! The vet wasn't particularly polite either, which made the whole situation even more upsetting! :( I'm just hoping next week when I go back it will have disappeared - wishful thinking?

2. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Holly, how old is your kitten? Breed? Kittens can present with heart murmurs for various reasons which can resolve on their own and your vet did say it was only a slight one. Generally those that persist beyond 16 weeks are those that merit further investigation for conditions like HCM. I would therefore wait and see what the other (hopefully more polite! ) vet says and try not to worry too much at this stage.

3. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

My Holly had a heart murmur at her first vet check (with me) -and she didnt have one with her vet check before coming to me.

The vet said she would probably grow out of it, and it could be down to all sorts of reasons - new home, taken away from mum, new vets , car journey etc.

They checked her at her second vacs appt and it was gone. The insurance needed a second opinion from an independant vet, who also verified it was gone.

Just because they detected this at her first appt. doesnt mean its something that is here to stay :)

4. Holly1234

Holly1234 PetForums Newbie

She's 16 weeks and a Maine Coon, which is probably making me worry more about HCM!

Thank you for the kind words - I'm trying very hard not too worry too much! Hopefully the second vet wont be able to hear anything (and yes, is more polite!) She's such a sweet little cat :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice