Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten weeing on the bed.

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Beanodog90, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Beanodog90

Beanodog90 PetForums Newbie

Hi there, I’m having a little trouble with my kitten. I have two males who are 12 weeks old. One of them has had a few accidents on our bed.

They are both very good at using the litter tray, however one of my kittens has weed on the bed on three separate occasions. He’s also had slightly looser stool than our other kitten. It’s not diarrhea or anything, but it is not as “log like” as his brother’s. It is still completely solid though, and a normal colour etc, and he is active, eating and drinking and generally a happy kitten. I was putting it down to the fact that their food and environment have changed since I took them home.

One time when he weed on the bed it was after I had cleaned him (he has extremely long fur by his bottom, which my other kitten does not have, and something had got caught). I used a warm wet tissue to clean him. So I’m not sure whether the warmth / wetness from cleaning him stimulated him to wee (I know people get get tiny kittens to wee/ poo this way)

I guess my question is - at 12 weeks are some (2-3 in the space of 3 weeks) accidents expected? Should I be concerned about his poo? I would take him to a vet but all the vets here are only allowing emergency appointments due to the coronavirus! He is a lively relaxed kitten otherwise, loves curling up on the sofa and is always purring and playing with his brother- so no behavioural changes that concern me.

thanks in advance- any reassurance or advice is welcome!
    X

2. Beanodog90

They are black/brown ragdoll kittens if that makes any difference!

Attached Files:

3. Beanodog90

Forgot to put- they are confined to one double bedroom at the moment, so his litter box is close (about a metre away) and he knows where it is and uses it frequently by himself. I wonder if he’s a late bloomer or something is wrong? I love them both dearly!

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Awww, they are both very cute, pretty kitties. Great photos! :)

The peeing on the bed could be due to underlying anxiety from all the changes the little fellow has been through recently.

Or it could be scent marking done to comfort himself and make himself feel more secure. Human beds smell very strongly of their owners, and cats sometimes like to mingle their own scent (through their urine) with the owners scent. It gives them a sense of 'belonging' . It is good he has his brother for companionship. :)

Or the bed-peeing could be to do with his stool being a bit soft, or maybe he does not want to pee in the tray if there is poo in it at the time (from either him or his brother).

3 litter trays is the minimum requirement for 2 cats, and although kittens may manage with only 2, I think it's better to start off with the right number. They needn't be huge trays, they can be medium size, or even small ones, but should not be placed right next to each other, and not near their food.

Open trays are best. If the boys are OK with covered trays ensure there is plenty of head room inside for them to squat upright when pooing, and remove door flaps permanently (as cats do not like being fully enclosed when at their toilet).

With litter a fine granular clumping litter such as Cats Best Oko Plus is best. [ But not a clumping clay litter because of the dangers of a blockage if they accidentally swallow any they lick off their fur or paws. ]

I would cover your bed over for now when you are not using it, with something waterproof like an old shower curtain or a groundsheet, and then put a fleece blanket on top to hide the plastic. You may find this stops the kitten from peeing on the bed, but if he does, at least you only have the fleece to wash.

Diet is likely to be responsible for the softer stools. What do you feed him? He will be best on a high meat protein diet and no grains. No dry food, wet only. 4 or 5 meals a day of wet food at their age.

Have they both been wormed recently?

5. Beanodog90

Hey, thanks for your reply, that makes me feel a bit more at ease!

We use cats best litter Oko plus too! It had such good reviews so that is reassuring. Thank you that does make sense about marking his smell and potentially him not wanting to go in the tray if there is some poo in there. Both times I think there has been some poo in there covered. Even though they have two trays that are large with no door, sometimes there are poos or wees in there already so I will purchase another one so they have more choice. Thanks that’s a good idea!

I have bought a waterproof mattress protector to put over everything in the meantime. I don’t mind washing the sheets etc just was worried about the poor little thing.

As for their food, they are currently eating feringa kitten which is the highest meat content I could find that was wet. They were having natures menu which is the same meat content, but they both had soft stool with that one. The feringa one they seem to prefer, and definitely has made their poos better, which works great because it’s about half the price! I’m not sure apart from raw food whether there are any with higher meat content/ better ingredients? I currently feed them 4 times a day as much as they want to eat. I’m not sure how many g of wet food is normal for a kitten at 12 weeks?

They were wormed just before I got them so about two weeks ago. But trying to find somewhere that will vaccinate them at this time, since everywhere is closed and they say it’s not an emergency, which I do understand.

They both are strange/lovely little kittens, they seem to absolutely love human companionship and being held and stroked. Which I’ve never had before with cats! They have been playing with each other beautifully too and Pingu (the kitten in question) does seem to be very bouncy and acting like a normal kitten should. I was just a bit concerned about both the weeing and poo.

your advice has been really helpful! Thank you for taking the time to read through my long panicked waffle!!

chillminx likes this.
  6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Beanodog90 - Pingu is a lovely name for a kitten! :)

I am very pleased to hear they on a wet food diet - excellent! Feringa is a good food.

It is advisable to offer a variety of foods, say 3 or 4 different makes and different meat proteins. This ensures the kitties get all the nutrients they need, it reduces the risk of food boredom and means that if one of their foods is suddenly unavailable, you have other foods to fall back on that you know they will eat.

Feringa Meat Menu has a slightly loosening effect on the bowels with one of my boys who eats it. Feringa Kitten may possibly have a similar effect on Pingu.... Some cat foods contain quite a lot of heart and too much can be loosening to the bowel. If you vary the makes you feed, you may find Pingu's soft stools firm up.

One of the foods my girls got on well with as kittens was Animonda Vom Feinsten Kitten food.

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/animonda/kitten/14012

Possibly yours may like Smilla Kitten - not all do, though kittens at one of the Shelters I support, seem to like it. :)

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/smilla/smilla_kitten_food/365685

That would give you 3 makes (Feringa, A/Vom Feinsten and Smilla). to rotate. Try to avoid feeding the same protein day after day, because a variety will avoid the risk of an allergy developing in the long term.

7. Beanodog90

Ah thank you so much! That is so useful to know, I had ummm’ed and err’ed over getting Animonda Vom Feinsten Kitten food it feringa so rotating between a few makes perfect sense. I’m going to order those two now from Zooplus! This may seem like a silly question. But does it make a difference the type of meat I’m buying as well as the brand. For example I buy the feringa Turkey with Pumpkin & Catnip because they seem to love it. But should I also be buying feringa chicken brand or rabbit as well as a different brand like Animonda chicken / beef. Thanks so much for all your helpful wisdom! X

chillminx likes this.
  8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Yes, it is a good idea to feed a variety of different proteins, because when cats do develop allergies it is often to one of the meat proteins commonly used in cat food . Grains can also be an allergen.

So for example if you can feed for example turkey, chicken, beef, rabbit, lamb, that will be a good way of providing a variety of meat proteins you can rotate. Feringa Meat Menu foods are useful as they are single protein. Some of the Feringa Kitten are single protein, e,g the turkey one you mentioned and also the chicken one, but the rabbit is not as it contains chicken.

The A/vom Feinsten Kitten foods are a mix of 3 or 4 different meat proteins, which is better than feeding just the same protein every day, but as they all contain chicken it is best to balance with the other foods in the diet so the same proteins are not being fed every day, if that makes sense. ;)

The Smilla Kitten contain a mix of meat proteins too...

Actually I wouldn't worry too much while they are kittens, but it is certainly a good idea when you introduce adult foods to feed a range of single protein foods so you can rotate them and thus avoid feeding e.g. chicken every day. I would concentrate on having a few different makes on the go while they are kittens. It will stop them becoming faddy if they will eat different makes.

Introduce each new food one at a time, and start slowly with just a teaspoon served on a separate dish to their Feringa. Keep supplying a separate fresh sample of the new food for a few days until they decide if they are going to eat it, then gradually increase the amount of new food, while decreasing the amount of Feringa.

Keep a check on the litter tray during a new food intro in case it is having a loosening effect on their bowels.

9. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

If you've had them for 3 weeks and are only 12 weeks now, I've concluded that they went to you at 9 weeks. Accidents are very common in kittens removed from mum too early, as they experience high stress and anxiety. They're frightened and miss their mum.

I'm very surprised that you've managed to get full colour Ragdolls. As far as I was aware there were less than a handful of breeders breeding for full colour in the UK and I'm not sure if they're even still breeding. I'm even more surprised that they would have let them go before 13 weeks, against registry policy.

spotty cats likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice