Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten wants all of our drinks !

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Iva Miteva, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Iva Miteva

Iva Miteva PetForums Newbie

Hey everyone , not sure if the answer to this is obvious, but my kitten is 4 months old and tries to drink from or touch every single drink we have around whether it's water wine coffee you name it . He'd also reach in with one paw and with the other it's almost as though he's holding onto the sides or trying to push the glass/cup around . We tell him off but he keeps doing it . Is it just a phase thing as he's still so tiny and curious ? Thank you !

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Iva Miteva and welcome :)

I hope he doesn't manage to drink any wine! Alcohol is very toxic for cats. Caffeine is bad for them too!

Are you providing several bowls of fresh water around the house for your kitten? And refilling them with fresh filtered or bottled water every day?

Your kitten might prefer drinking his water from a glass, or a glass bowl - can you put one down for him? I've found many cats dislike drinking water from metal bowls (and plastic bowls are worse). Ceramic bowls are OK, but a glass bowl may be liked better.

It could be he is just curious, but I am concerned he is trying to tell you he is very thirsty. Are you feeding him a wet food diet, and no dry food?

Wet food is best for kittens as it gives them the moisture they need with their food. Cats (because of their desert ancestry) are not designed to drink much water. Young kittens like yours can't drink enough water to hydrate a dry food diet and so there is a risk of them suffering chronic low-level dehydration.

Iva Miteva likes this.
  3. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

My first thought is he is thirsty. Be sure he is on a wet diet (no kibble) so he is getting enough moisture

However this is normal kitten and cat behavior they like to push things over and knock things down. I call this Gravity Experiments.

Yelling at him isn't going to teach him anything, because this is what cats do. You need to stop leaving glasses around where he can reach them. It's as simple as that. :)

Also I wonder how much time you are devoting to interactive play. Kittens have an enormous amount of energy and need attention and play time from you, several sessions a day of at least a half hour at a time.

Make sure he has a good sturdy cat tree and several types of scratching posts as well. Give him a box fort (card board box) and some kind of rustly tent or tunnel too.

It may be he is doing this because he needs attention.

Iva Miteva and chillminx like this.
  4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I've had a few cats really dedicated to Gravity Experiments. I set things up for them, to satisfy that desire. On a book shelf for instance, a row of little kitten safe toys or crumpled paper balls, for him to knock down. Then pick them up and put them back, changing up the items now and then. I have several "stations" like that in my house, when I have a Gravity Experiment cat.

Iva Miteva likes this.
  5. Iva Miteva

Thank you guys this kitty I spoilt he has everything including a scratching post tree, a box with a small hole with comfy blanket inside , all the toys. He gets fed wet and dry food and his water I changed regularly, in a ceramic bowl . I agree to switching to using a glass for him, I think he prefers to drink from glass (and the tap) . We do tidy away cups and glasses but he still wants to inspect and play. Great idea about putting more drinking vessels for him around the house, he only has one water bowl I like the sound of the gravity experiments ! He receives lots of love and attention, especially since I'm having a brake from work, lots of time dedicated to him

Attached Files:

moomoowawa and chillminx like this.
  6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Lurcherlad and Iva Miteva like this.
  7. Iva Miteva

Thank you ! My sister in law has one for her kitties and they apparently love it !

moomoowawa and chillminx like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice