Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

kitten vacs

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by foxxy cleopatra, Jul 22, 2009.

1. foxxy cleopatra

foxxy cleopatra PetForums VIP

....going to the vets on the 31st, is it okay to have them micro chipped so young and at the same time as the other injections? and are there any i need to ask for? like, the lady on the phone listed the compuslary ones...but ive read you can get an sti one? arghh!
    and flees...im guessing that indoor kitties get them...is there any way of keeping them forever gone?
    so many questions! sorry!

2. harleigh

harleigh PetForums Member

If they are going to be indoor cats like mine I just get the basic injection which does cat flu because the other one I got told for lukemia (spelling) is only good for if they'll be fighting with strange cats which mine and presumably yours wont be. Not heard of an sti one
    As for fleas they can get them, mine do grr. You can bring them in on clothes etc. I don't know about forever gone but I just frontline mine regularly and testing them by using a nit comb on them. If you find out about forever gone please let me know. :)
    Microchipping can be done now I believe but not 100% sure only about 95% sure lol....as irresponsible as it may sound mine are not done because I've seen the needle and couldnt do it to them! I'm too soft when it comes to my babies. But only a couple of them will venture past the door step anyway.

3. Kat28

Kat28 PetForums VIP

Agree with above about leukemia vac mine have had it but thats because they go outside if they were indoor cats they wouldnt have needed it.Not heard of the sti vacination.As for micro chipping my vet prefers to do it when they are neutared/spayed as it doesnt cause them any pain at all. I would ask your vet what they reccomened. I use front line on my cats every 5 weeks and have had no problem with fleas.

4. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

personally whether they are gonna be indoor or not id get all the injections they need even to be outdoor. coz got forbid they dont but wat if they get out. at least youll have peace of mind wen it comes to disease and infection.
    Also i no wen Sheldon got neutered the vet asked about micro-chipping. so dependin on your vet he/she might do it wen they go in to be 'done'

5. Elise.x

Elise.x PetForums Junior

In my opinion, i would wait untill there older to get them chipped, Hank was chipped on Monday and hes 14 weeks old, it was horrible, he screamed so much, i came out of there crying :crying:

The needle is very big for a little kitten, and now i feel so bad getting him chipped at a young age, The vet said afterwards, that with microchipping kittens, sometimes the chip pushes its way out cause the kittens are growing lots, and that when we take Hank back in a month time to be wormed, that they would check and if the chip has fell out, then they would redo it, but there is no way im putting him through that again, if the chip falls out then i would rather him not be chipped.

x.

6. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

oh how awful for you both! Why didnt the vet tell you this beforehand :rolleyes: I hope hes ok.

I've not heard of the sti either? must be a new one! lol

7. Elise.x

Elise.x PetForums Junior

No, i wasnt told before hand, but its my own fault really i should of known as soon as i saw the needle, Hank was fine afterwards, his 2 injections didnt even bother him, as soon as we were home he was running round mad as usual :rolleyes: it was just the few seconds of the chip going in that hurt him, i think i was bothered by it more afterwards than he was :rolleyes:

8. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

aww probably! lol You wasn't in the wrong at all, you weren't to know - the vet should have told you beforehand. Well at least he's ok now :)

9. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

as for fleas - check out this link ..... its the best stuff ;)

FRONTLINEĀ®

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice