Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

kitten uses claws to balance on my legs!

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by jw1980, Sep 21, 2013.

1. jw1980

jw1980 PetForums Newbie

A simple question I hope! My kitten is not aggressive but occasionally when he is sitting on my knee, not being held in place and he is purring, he will stretch out, retract his claws and sink them into my hand or leg..not enough to draw blood. Also, when he is climbing down off my knee or is climbing over me to get to the other side of the settee he sometimes uses his claws, presumably to balance, which is rather painful! Can he be taught not to use his claws when he is in contact with a human rather than furniture and if so can anyone please recommend the best method for teaching him? I've tried saying ouch loudly, I've also said no and stared in his eyes and most recently I've tried moving him to a separate room for ten mins so he doesn't get any attention for a little while but it doesn't seem to have had the desired effect. Perhaps I just need to keep going with one of these techniques?

2. congenialhen

congenialhen PetForums Junior

i'm having the same problem x2

i tried shrieking but they just looked at me like i was mad. i'm hoping they will just grow out of the crazy!
    getting up and leaving the room seemed to work for a little while and they haven't been as bad this week. though as i say that they are currently wrestling on the sofa and keep catching my bum with their claws!

3. jw1980

jw1980 PetForums Newbie

Ha ha...I'm glad I'm not the only one!

4. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

It's what a kitten does. As they grow they will hop up & down rather than climb.

5. spid

spid PetForums VIP

I have a lovely long scratch on my leg, form Fred, through jeans as well as he scaled them! It's par for the course and eventually they stop. Best thing to do is stay still or the scratches are worse.

6. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Try clipping the tips of the claws with a set of nail clippers. Some cats never need their claws clipped, some need it regularly. It does make a huge difference when there aren't those needle sharp points to go through your clothes.

7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Cookieandme likes this.
  8. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

I read this last night then April was on my knee for a while when she had a mega stretch - full length claws out, she did catch my leg (silly me for having lower leg exposed :eek:) and I did make a little noise (ouch) but if I had put her out of the room she wouldn't have associated her stretch with my action.

Yes she also has needle point claws and I have been meaning to go and get the nurse to clip them but I haven't yet.

9. Satori

Satori One of Life's Winners.

Yup, clipping is the answer. My kittens have their claws clipped every week; just a tiny bit off the tips and only the claws that are sharp to the touch. Some people recommend clipping more off and doing it less frequently but I read that cutting back harshly can lead to abnormal re-growth. I don't know if that is true but little and often works very well for me. It takes about 5 minutes per cat once you have a routine established and they do seem to enjoy it.

10. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

Do you want to pop round and do April's :eek:

11. Satori

Satori One of Life's Winners.

If she lets me have a cuddle :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice