Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Kitten unwell

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Paula Short, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Paula Short

Paula Short PetForums Newbie

My kitten is having distressing episodes where it's like he can't tolerate his own purr. He opens his mouth, shakes his head and swallows. He is quite disoriented by it and then exhausted. He's been to the vet and the vet is very confused by his symptoms and doesn't know what the problem is. He thinks it must be something very unusual and possibly congenital. The kitten also has periods of being perfectly normal. I'm so worried for him. He's a rescue and only about 8 weeks old. I'd be grateful for any ideas as to what this might be or if anyone has had a similar experience.

2. HappyKitty

HappyKitty PetForums Member

I haven't got any answers, but wondering if this will improve with age as his airways will be larger. Is there any sign of coughing/shortness of breath at other times?

3. Paula Short

Thank you for responding! I'd love to think that he will grow out of it! He is perfectly fine some of the time and his breathing and purring can all sound normal. After a bad period he will sleep for a long time and his breathing can be very noisy then.

4. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

Do you feel that he manages to eat perfectly normally, ie the amount to be exoected and no problem with gagging, swallowing, etc? A friend's kitten had similar symptoms to your own but did have a problem swallowing - didn't stop him for the most part but he was a bit small/underweight as a result.

5. Paula Short

He's eating fine and generally seems to be improving, thankfully! He only had one episode over the weekend and didn't seem as distressed by it. He had five visits to the vet last week, poor little chap. At the last visit, he had a small ulcer on his tongue. We were all delighted as this would indicate a virus. If it's a virus then we can hope that he will just fight it off and it will be gone. The alternative was a congenital problem that would likely just get worse with time. I'm sooooo relieved!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice