Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten underweight?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Seb_the_Siamese, May 6, 2020.

1. Seb_the_Siamese

Seb_the_Siamese PetForums Junior

Hi everyone - hope you're all keeping well/safe

I have been in constant contact with the breeder of my (to be) Siamese baby boy, have heard today that he weighs 650g as a 9 and a half week old (male) kitten. From my reading - this seems to be very low to me? From photos of his with his litter mates from about 4 weeks he always seems to have been smaller but I feel like the difference has gotten larger recently? Could anyone advise? I could send photos if that would help! If he is underweight should I be worried about taking him - the breeder said he should put on the weight he is lacking and grow to a normal size but I'm not so sure.

2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

That is small. I've looked back through my records and I've only had one kitten that was almost that small at that age, and she had had some setbacks, and by the time she left at 14 weeks she was still petite and probably always will be. However the cat in my avatar looked like a 9-week old kitten when I got her at 13 weeks, and she did grow into a normal size cat. Photos don't really help as we can't feel the kitten to see if he is simply small but an appropriate weight, or underweight for his size. And of course at the moment you can't visit to find out for yourself.

From your food thread, this is a 'breeder' who is letting the kitten go at 9 weeks old rather than 13, and he may well not be fully weaned yet, though I see that seems to have passed you by in the food thread.

I would certainly worry about a small kitten leaving at 9 weeks. At that age mine are all feeding from their mother as well as usually eating wet food.

#2 OrientalSlave, May 7, 2020
    Last edited: May 7, 2020
  3. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

The breeder should be keeping him until he's a proper weight and healthy enough to be rehomed.

I would walk away from this byb and find a reputable, registered breeder.

4. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

Yes, walk away and go to a registered, responsible breeder instead of supporting a backyard breeder continuing to breed unwell kittens.

spotty cats likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice