Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten Treats and Raw Salmon

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Seb_the_Siamese, May 14, 2020.

1. Seb_the_Siamese

Seb_the_Siamese PetForums Junior

Hi everyone,

Whilst preparing food for dinner this evening, we decided to let seb try a little bit of raw salmon (when I say little, I mean the size of the last section of my thumb) - He went absolutely crazy over it and licked my fingers clean! He hasn't shown any interest in foods other than his meals till now) Is it safe to give him small pieces like this from time to time as a treat? Which other human foods do cats seem to enjoy?

Thanks

2. Seb_the_Siamese

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Seb_the_Siamese - personally I wouldn't feed my cats raw fish, not even as an occasional treat.

Raw fish often contains bacteria such as listeria, clostridium and salmonella that cause food poisoning.

In addition, an enzyme in raw fish destroys thiamine, an essential B vitamin for cats. A lack of thiamine in the diet can cause neurological problems in cats.

As for other 'human' foods for cats, I never give them table scraps or any of my own food as I'm preparing it.

But I regularly cook mince for them, [pork, beef or turkey] + add a completer to it (e.g. Felini Complete from Zooplus) I also sometimes cook for them kangaroo meat, wild rabbit, white fish. and lamb or pork kidney. So they have a varied diet, as well as their cat food. :)

Seb_the_Siamese likes this.
  4. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

I also have never given my cats any of my food at any time, with the exception of Rufus when he was terminally ill. If I'm going to give them meat trimmings I do so after I've finished preparing my food, and they get it on the normal type of dish in the normal place.

Mine occasionally get the very cheap frozen white fish from the supermarket cooked over water in the microwave, from frozen. I give it a minute, let it rest for a while, then another minute & so on until it's cooked.

5. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

I get frozen diced beef, lamb from the supermarket. Easy to defrost a cube or two when needed

6. Seb_the_Siamese

Thank you!

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice