Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten toilet problems!

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Kirsty Louise haupt, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Kirsty Louise haupt

Kirsty Louise haupt PetForums Newbie

Hi all

New to all this kitten stuff so bare with me.

Long story short. We have a 12 week old kitten from a foster home. Anyway... we have given her a forever home with us day 4!

She likes to do her business around our living room. Bare in mind we have an 18 month old little girl. It's really hit and miss. Teeny will sometimes do her stuff in litter tray and other times she wont.

We have bought the odour spray which I'm hoping will eliminate her from doing this. But I'm now at a loose end.

We are using wood pellets for her litter tray.

Thanks for reading.

Attached Files:

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Kirsty Louise haupt and welcome :)

I would give kitty 2 open litter trays and a fine granular litter. If it is a clay based litter it must be non clumping in case she were to lick any off her paws when grooming. If it is cereal based then a clumping litter would be OK. Most cats love Cats Best Oko Plus or Worlds Best. Not all cats like wood pellet litters.

As it is only day 4 of kitty being with you, it would be better to confine her to one room - her "safe" room - with all she needs. Make this a room that's big enough for you to spend lots of time with her, i.e. not a bathroom.

She may be soiling around the house because she is overwhelmed by her new environment. As she was from a foster home it is likely she was in a pen most of the time or confined to one room of the foster carer's home. That would be normal procedure. So she needs time to adjust.

I wouldn't allow her out of her safe room until she is using her litter trays every time. Once this happens then rather than move either of the trays, add another tray elsewhere in the house.

Gallifreyangirl likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice