Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten teeth

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Abster21, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Abster21

Abster21 PetForums Junior

Hi,

Spider, my 7 month old has lost a tooth tonight (the first I've noticed). I was expecting him to lose some, but this one isn't "complete", its jagged on top - no root like when our teeth fell out as children! Just wanted thoughts on whether this is to be expected, or whether a trip to the vets is in order?

Both he and his sister have been acting slightly more boisterously than usual - play fighting etc - and are choosing dry over wet food recently.

Thanks!

2. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

If possible, check Spider's mouth to see if the tooth that's come out has left a 'clean' gap, ie: the entire tooth has come out and not just broken off. If you can see a jagged bit in Spider's gum, you'll need to pop along to the vet to get this removed properly. If the tooth has come out completely, Spider should be fine, but if not, please don't try to remove it yourself, even if it's loose, as it could cause an infection. Good luck :)

3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I'm fairly certain this is normal.Milk teeth ,I think ,look different to adult teeth and dont have the same "root".I could be wrong so if you are worried at all ring your vet for confirmation.

4. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

You're right buffie, 'baby teeth' come out without a 'root', but as the OP said it was jagged, thought it best to have a look to check if part of the tooth had been left in the gum just in case the tooth has broken, rather than come out completely :)

5. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

That was what I thought.I found a couple of Meeko's and they were jagged edged .

6. TatiLie

TatiLie PetForums VIP

I believe that what Spider is experience is normal. Milk teeth has no roots because they are absorbed by the normal process of eruption of the permanent ones. If a piece of root is left behind, most of times it will be absorbed or kicked out naturally when the permanent one comes to take its place. I'm posting a picture of my kitten's milk canine so you can compare (sorry, the attachment failed twice so I'm posting the link to my album).
    http://www.petforums.co.uk/members/tatilie-albums-ariostea-boss-picture38746-milk-tooth.html

7. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

hold on a minute i have had two kittens and i have never noticed any baby teeth falling out?????????

8. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Dont panic :D Usually they swallow them.Sometimes you can be lucky and find one .

9. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

That is exactly what I found when Meeko lost a tooth.

10. TatiLie

TatiLie PetForums VIP

Kitteh Tooth Fairy was faster than you!! :D

11. Abster21

Abster21 PetForums Junior

Thanks everyone, that's put my mind at rest! Tooth looked just like the pic.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice