Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

kitten still poorly with her tummy - help!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Bellini, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Bellini

Bellini PetForums Member

Bit of background (I've posted before).

Millie is now 3 and a half months. Since we've had her she's occasionally vomited her food up. So when we had that bout of hot weather her frequency and amount of vomiting increased so she went onto some antibiotics and eukanuba food. Additional to this she was having James Welbeloved dry food.

After I weaned her back she was ok for a day or 2 and then we started getting what can only be described as "cow pat" poops, occasionally with a trace of fresh red blood in them. Started off at 1 a day and then I was getting 3 a day (luckily she was making it to the litter tray fine).

So I took her back to the vet who said it might be a reaction to the antibiotics so she's had 4 days of panacur paste and 5 days of probiotic capsules.

Over the course of the 5 days she really improved but the last 2 days since we stopped the probiotic and panacur we're back to square 1 with the poops.

I called the vet and the receptionist said I must bring her in again. What could be wrong? She is fine in herself, playful and eating and drinking well. Her coat and eyes are bright and shiny and apart from having a slightly swollen intenstine the vet found nothing else wrong.

What's up with my kitten??? :confused:

2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Sounds like she might not like her food - have you tried her on just plain old chicken? I'd do that and once her poos have stabalised very gradually reintroduce a single food at a time, thatway you can eliminate the foods that are upsettng her. SHe may not like the dry food, it has lots of carbs in it that cats aren't designed to digest well. Try her on high quality wet food once she is well again or even better raw. Still go to the vet though.

3. Antw23uk

Antw23uk PetForums Junior

Hi
    Sorry to hear your little one has an upset tummy.

Has your vet taken a blood sample and sent it off to see if there is a more sinister issue which might be causing this? I would feel better knowing everything was as it should be and to rule out other possible causes!

It might be worth while putting her on freshly cooked chicken and white fish for a few days. Start off with the white fish as its softer and more easily digested and then onto cooked chicken.

What food was she weaned onto in her previous home? Is it worth calling the breeder and asking, perhaps putting her back on that for a while?

sorry im not much help on a prognosis but i would reccommend a trip to sainsburys freezer department to get some white fish such as coley! They come in perfect portion sized cubes and can either be baked of put in the microwave for a minute of so.

Ant.

4. Antw23uk

Spid a friend of mine had a horrendous time trying to get her cat on to a dried food. She spent weeks going through different types of meat and dried. She has now found wet food suitable but dried food is just a complete no go. Oscar simply cannot handle it bless him.

Im still in the research stages of RAW but so far it seems the way to go (Ollie my cat has a stomach of steel but i still think the BARF diet is the way forward)

5. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Mine only have a very little of dry as I don't really like feeding it to them, but it is so convenient if we need to go out etc. Funnily enough the kittens won't touch it. I feed a mixture of raw and good quality wet. Th moogy is comletely on raw, the kittens a m,ixture cos new owners might not like tofeed purely raw, and the mum on mainly wet cos she doesn't know what's good for her!

6. Bellini

Bellini PetForums Member

thanks everyone.

Millie was on icky asda adult cat food until I got her at almost 7 weeks. After trying whiskas and tescos I moved her onto the purely pate which was fine apart from the vomiting and alongside this she was also on the JWB every day. So the vet said to let her have JWB and eukaneuba as the JWB is mild fish/turkey and rice so when she finished the eukaneuba I tried her on the purely pate which made her poop bad so I took her off it and kept with the JWB but things haven't gotten better.

The entire time she was on the eukanuba she had JWB as well so it's not like it's a new thing to have the dry or to have that particular variety of dry.

I'm stumped.

7. Antw23uk

I would defo be trying different foods and keep a record of how she copes with each one ect.

Some cats are just not cut out to cope with all this processed cat food, there little tummies just cant take it and if thats all the food oyu have tried you certainly have a lot of options to try (slowly but surely is key here)

Just because a vet says a food is good doesnt mean your cats tummy will agree, lol :)

8. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Have you tried just a fish diet ? I know this sounds strange but I had similar problems with my cat and she now only has Hi-Life Fish selection and RC biscuits. I have tried the chicken variety and she cannot tolerate that at all.

I have been trying food for over a year and this is the only thing she seems to be able to manage and her poos are nice and firm now. (sorry possibly too much information).

It's sad though, she would love chicken and mince etc. She just cannot tolerate it.

#8 Milly22, Jul 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  9. Coraline

Coraline PetForums Member

Sounds like poor Millie has an extra sensitive stomach! She is probably having a hard time trying to digest the rice, wheat, corn, grain, etc in the dry food, because as a cat she's not really built to eat those things.

Millie needs to have a diet that is closer to the ideal diet for cats, because this is a lot easier to digest for her. This means a wet diet only - no dried food at all.

The wet food needs to be of good quality, meaning that it must contain at least 50% meat and no added icky stuff. HiLife pouches (Poultry Collection Multipack) are a good place to start, and are sold in many supermarkets.

Beyond that, a prey model diet is the ultimate, ideal diet - but I'd suggest you try the pouches first and see how she does. My cat loves the HiLife pouches, especially the chicken varieties, he has them when my planning fails and I have no defrosted raw food available :)

Best of luck and I hope Millie feels better soon!

10. jane dececio

jane dececio Guest

The first kitten i ever had had been returned to the breeder because his first new home said they could not cope with his tummy problems. The breeder told us that he was fine once he had been returned to her and so we took him on in the belief that he was now well or the first owner just did not want him.

But within a day of being with us he had splatty tummy and this went on for weeks, with us taking him backwards and forwards to vet and trying numerous diets.

Eventually problem solved when we started boiling the tap water and allowing to cool before we gave it to him. Just like humans abroad it seems that cats tummies are sensitive to the different additives that regional water boards add to their supply. Within couple of days he was right as rain.

11. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

Speaking of water just thought I'd point out that my cat Nala had a few tummy problems as a kitten due to her water.

I was told to NEVER put water in a plastic bowl as it gathers toxins from the plastic and can upset her tummy and also to keep it as fresh and cold as possible.

I bought a drinkwell fountain and it's a lifesaber, not only does she drink a LOT more water but she has never had trouble again.

I would also recomend feeding a sensitive food with a high meat content and as little additives as possible.

Hope that she starts getting better soon!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice