Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

kitten stealing food

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by lunalou, Jun 4, 2014.

1. lunalou

lunalou PetForums Junior

I have 2 young children, nearly 2 and nearly 4. our kitten is constantly trying to take food from our nearly 2 yr old. ov tried putting food down for her at the same time, tried distracting with toys and tried simply just moving her away but she is so persistant. she is constantly there trying take food from my daughters hands and when i move her she is straight back as soon as i put her down.
    thanks for reading, please someone help :( i also have a 1yr old male and never has this problem with him. i think he tried a few times but once i moved him he didnt go back x

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Often kittens (or cats) who keep trying to steal food from humans are doing so because they are hungry.

Kittens should be fed as much as they want to eat, with no rationing of their meals. They will adjust their own appetite according to need, sometimes eating more when they are going through a growth spurt (up to the age of 2).

Kittens also do best with a number of small meals a day. Up to 6 or 7 mths I feed 4 meals a day. From 7 mths onward 3 meals a day.

What are you feeding her? Perhaps it is not nourishing her and that's why she is stealing food. A good quality wet food for kittens should be given, not dry food.

Dry food is especially bad for kittens as they are unable to drink enough water to keep themselves fully hydrated, and the risk is they develop chronic low level dehydration leading to possible bladder problems, or kidney problems.

Are there specific foods your kitty tries to steal? If so this may be an indication of what nutrients she is lacking in her diet.

If you are sure she is getting all she wants to eat, then try feeding her before the humans sit down for their meal. But if she is still no better then I advise shutting her out of the room during your meals. Less upset all round that way.

3. lunalou

lunalou PetForums Junior

hi when we first had her, her previoua owner had her on whiskers dry so i continued this. she had an upset stomach and went onto a chixken diet for a few days then i put her onto nature menu after. she is fed 4/5 meals a day. i am fostering her and had alot of problems with the owner who is ment to be to ill to work and has got a sick note but still manages go to alton towers. anyway she wants the kitten back friday so im afraid she will probably go back onto dry whiskers :( unfortunately my problem will be solved in the wrong way x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice