Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten Starving

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by GazNicki, Apr 24, 2011.

1. GazNicki

GazNicki PetForums Newbie

We recently bought a new kitten. We was told she was 8 weeks, but she certainly wasn't - we worked out she was 6 weeks.

We have had her a week now and she has been suffering with the runs since she got here. We had an appointment with the vets on Wednesday but she passed a stool which looked fine so we cancelled thinking she would be OK as we had wormed her (Spot-On Dewormer).

Unfortunatley we was wrong, so we have taken her to the Vets on Saturday who gave her an anti-biotic injection and some ear-drops plus some Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal food.

At 400g in weight we was told to split the 100g packets into about 6 portions - feeding 3 times per day (about a teaspoon a time).

She seems to be on the mend already but the poor mite is starving. Is this right that she is so hungry? She hasn't been to the litter tray for a #2 since she has been on this food which in one sense is good as she is getting the nutrients, but are we now underfeeding?

The kitten is restless, and is scrounging for food. Its heartbreaking to see but we want what is best for her and trust the Vets. But should we consider feeding a little more or mixing dry food in with the wet??

2. HelloKittyHannah

HelloKittyHannah PetForums VIP

If she's only 400g, chances are she's more like 4 weeks than 6 weeks, unless she's very underweight :(
    If it weren't for her tummy issues I'd be saying free feed her, if she's hungry let her eat. You can't overfeed a kitten!

However, with her having a poorly tummy, I'm not sure that's the right course of action. Hopefully someone more knowledgable will be along soon.

Good luck with your kitten! :)

3. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

aww the poor little kitty,:( i hope someone with more knowledge comes on and offers some advise,:)

4. GazNicki

Thanks guys. The poor little thing is constantly crying - I don't think we have ever seen a kitten so hungry. :'(

5. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

No, feed her what she'll eat! I would double the amount of RC the vet recommended at each stage at first and if necessary make further increases. Don't forget that during the time she had diarrhea she wasn't absorbing many nutrients. She's also not producing much stool at the moment basically because she's not eating enough!

Of course if you notice any adverse reactions you may need to readjust the portions but for the moment proceed as above.

Let us know how it goes!

6. GazNicki

Excellent, thank you very much. I trust the vets, but think that sometimes like all vets they play it too safe.

We will double up (basically a packet a day now) and see how she goes on. Hopefully she'll start to go to the toilet too :)

Many thanks to all so far. Happy easter to you! :)

7. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Poor kitten.8 weeks would have been bad enough but 6 weeks is so wrong :mad:You will have a bit of work on your hands now.Not only with her health but her behaviour could be affected by this.Kittens,in an ideal world should be with mum until they are 12/13 weeks old.It is during this time that they learn manners,what hurts ect.You are now going to have to teach her this :(.As for food I dont think there will be any harm done in feeding her more food,infact I think she needs more than 100gms a day .Hope if I am wrong some one will correct me.

8. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

You're right buffie, kittens are to be 'free fed', OP please feed the kitten little and very often. Also you'll need to keep an eye on her weight being as she's is so young :( A kitten needs to be gaining weight at 100g per week and it's really important that you weigh her at the same time every week to monitor her progress.

As buffie said, you may have a job on your hands re: behaviour as your kitten will not have learnt manners from her mother or litter mates.

9. GazNicki

Luckily she is a really wonderful kitten, full of love and affection. We do feel she was too young, but we didn't realise how young until we actually got her home to spend time with her. It is a shame that some of her siblings had gone before her :(

She is looked after, being nursed to sleep, played with and generally loved back as much as she loves us. Hopefully she will start to get much better soon. We will continue with the RC food, and will buy some more from the vets if needed. We are due back in 2 weeks (from yesterday) but will weigh her on Saturday to see if she has hit the 500g mark :)

10. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

Forgot to mention OP, I had a poorly kitten, he was 14 wks when I had him, so it wasn't related to his very young age. Basically, my vet advised to feed him ridiculously small amounts of food, but he was frantic for food, so I had to weigh up what was best for my kitten. I did increase his food, but not overload him with large meals. I fed him small meals, about 8 times per day with RC vet diet sensitive chicken and rice. I kept my boy on this food for quite some time, and then re-introduced new food slowly. I would recommend vet diet RC sensitive for dodgy tums. You can buy it much cheaper online too.

11. GazNicki

Lovely, thank you very much. With her young age I am considering keeping her on a Royal Canin one for a while. Yes, its rather expensive at 95p a packet from the vets - but you can't put a price on the love of your animals.

I will have a look at the food you suggested, as after the 2-week period the vet has put her on, I think she would benefit from a more refined food until her tummy is more robust.

12. Steph_Mitsy

Steph_Mitsy PetForums Member

we have a new little kitten too, she has also left her mummy a tad too early, she was being sick yesterday but everyone on here helped soo much and advised that she'd probably just eaten her food a bit too fast and sure enough it was :)

I hope your kittie will be ok. :)
    xx

13. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

I've linked the one I use, RC Feline Sensitivity Chicken & Rice. It was around a £1.00 per pouch from my vet, but much cheaper from Pet Planet. And you're right, she won't be on it forever, although I always have this food in the house 'just in case' :)

See link : Royal Canin Feline Sensitivity Control Chicken 48x100g Royal Canin Veterinary Diets Cat for Sale

14. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

Hi Steph-Mitsy, the OP's kitten doesn't seem to have the same issue that your kitten has, as this kitten has had the runs for a week which is not good. Kittens can become dehydrated very quickly, so while a one off vomiting session can be okay, diarrhoea for a week is not okay and is cause for concern. Serious concern in a kitten so young.

I'm glad your kitten isn't suffering lasting effects from her sickness. And hope that the OP's kitten is okay soon too.

15. GazNicki

Excellent. A google search landed me there and was just reading the rave reviews. Good to know we are on the same page. Great minds think alike haha

16. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Has the vet tested her stools at all?

I rescued a kitten many years ago who constantly had the runs, a fecal test showed she had campylobactor which required specific treatment.

17. Steph_Mitsy

Steph_Mitsy PetForums Member

sorry, i didn't mean it to seem like i was saying it was the same, i was just saying that everyone on here was soo helpful :eek: :(

18. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

No prob Steph-Mitzy :)

I didn't think you were, but other people looking on here could interpret it that way, so better to be safe and make it clear as you'd be surprised how many people avoid taking their cats/kittens to the vet just to save a buck or two!

19. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

:thumbsup: We are all here for each other and all have a part to play :)

20. GazNicki

The initial advice and treatment was an anti-biotic injection followed by a diet of RC Gastro Intestinal food for 2 weeks. If there are still issues after this, then a stool sample would be required and sent to the lab for investigation. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice