Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten Sneezing!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by spudsmummy, Apr 30, 2011.

1. spudsmummy

spudsmummy PetForums Senior

Hi there
    Dexter is 8 weeks old, we have had him since thursday and just this afternoon he has started Sneezing alot.
    The only thing i have change is i put some Flea drops on him ( they say they are safe from 8 weeks), could it be this that is making him sneeze??
    He is still eating and playing as normal and there is no gunk from nose or eyes.

2. staffy_missy

staffy_missy PetForums Member

he will be fine. My two cats sneezed all the time when they were kittens it worried me aswell so i got my advise from my vet and he advised me sneezing is quite common in kittens so please dont worry :) my cats are both 1 year old now and dont sneeze anymore :D you could always seek advise from your vet if you get too worrid

3. Riobelle

Riobelle PetForums Junior

Hello cat don't get colds so sneezing is not common unless they are allergic to something. I'm guessing Dexter hasn't been vaccinated yet? He may have a strain of cat flu. I would get him checked out and booked into be vaccinated as soon as possible. Hope this helps xxx

4. staffy_missy

my vet advised me that is is common in some kittens as long as they dont have any other symptoms. Mine have both been vacinated but still sneezed alot as kittens now they are 1 year old and dont anymore

5. Riobelle

Yes cat flu is very common in kittens and can often be asymptomatic in vaccinated cats or just cause sneezing. In a younger unvaccinated kitten it would be best to get checked out by a vet. Make sure Dexter is eating and drinking normally so he doesn't get dehydrated :001_smile: Let us know how he gets on xxx

6. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

You learn something new every day i didn't know it was common for kittens to sneeze! even so, without seeing this kitten ourselves i would err on the side of caution especially as he's so young, keep an eye and make sure no other symptoms arise atall or a trips to the vets asap!
    Hopefully they were proper flea drops too ie not bob martin or any of that stuff :)

7. spudsmummy

Your right he has not yet had his jabs, i was going to phone the vets on tuesday and get him booked in. He is eating and drinking fine and still using he litter tray fine too. I will keep a close eye on him and keep you updated, Thanks

8. spudsmummy

Well Dexter is still sneezing this morning but apart from that he is not showing any other signs of being poorly.
    He is currently running from one room to another like a crazy thing. He is also still eating/drinking and going to the toilet as he was before. He is very alert and no signs of any gunk from his eyes or nose..........its a little bit strange.
    Is there something i am missing? or is it ok for them to sneeze so much??

Thanks

9. staffy_missy

like i said before my cats did this all way through their kitten stages but they wer very healthy and always playing around and now they are both 1 year old and have grown out of that stage and are very healthy happy cats :) it might be they have hayfever you never know but if it was serious he would be showing other signs but as you said hes acting normal. If he had cat flu you would know about it as my two have had it and were really ill with it. Give your vet a quick call to put your mind at rest most of the time they can advise you over the phone. How this helped x

10. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

Well i honestly don't know. He could possibly have an allergy to something but if people come on here looking for advice because their young kitten is sneezing i would stress to get it checked out as it is not really that normal.
    In the rescue where i am i have seen many many litters of kittens and the 1 and only time they sneeze like that is unfortunately when they have caught cat flu. You don't see kittens all sneezing constantly and go well it's cause their young!
    Hopefully he can get seen by the vet soon ( tuesday i think you mentioned ) and put your mind at ease :)

11. staffy_missy

i am just stating my experience and what i have been told by many vets and kitten owners! I mentioned to go to the vet

12. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

I know i wasn't saying anything against that :confused: i was just saying i personally hadn't seen kittens sneezing alot unless they had flu but mentioned he might just have a little allergy aswell. I was simply saying if other people came on here which they do ( not posters ) looking for advice on their kitten sneezing, it is best to go to the vet rather than just think it's normal, even thogh it's likely nothing it is always best to be safe than sorry. :)

13. staffy_missy

oh rite sorry thought you ment something else. Yeah thats true if you are ever unsure its best to consult a vet i do at the least silly things coz im a worrying mum :p x

14. spudsmummy

HI
    Well i got a worried about dexter today, his eyes are a bit runny and he is still sneezing loads, so i took him to the out of hours vets. She said he has a slight high temp but apart from that seems fine so she gave him an anti biotic injection and has told me to take him to the vets tomorrow for a full cheak.

I just hope its nothing to serious, she wasnt the most helpfull or happy vet and didnt really say much. :(

15. Riobelle

I'm sorry to hear Dexter still isn't well. It sounds like it could be cat flu but your vet will be able to advise you on that tomorrow.
    The antibiotic injection will help him feel better. One thing cats with flu can get is ulcers on their tongue and in their mouth. This can make their mouth a little sore so keep an eye on him and make sure he is eating and drinking normally so he doesn't get dehydrated.
    I would also ask your vet tomorrow about getting him vaccinated and whether he may need a dead strain of the vaccine so Dexter is not having to fight anything else off :001_smile: Good luck for tomorrow and let us know how little Dexter is please xxx

#15 Riobelle, May 2, 2011
    Last edited: May 2, 2011
  16. Gem16

Gem16 PetForums VIP

Really glad you took him to the vet and fingers crossed he starts to feel better soon xx

17. spudsmummy

Well we have just got back from the vets. Dexter has a virus, he has been given another antibiotic injection and has a course of antibiotics ( i say a course, its one tablet that he has to have 1/8 of twice a day). Hopefully he will be better soon.
    I asked about vaccinations but she said not to get him done untill he is 100% better.
    I have also tried to contact the person i got him from but i have not had any responce yet, just though they might like to know whats is happening and to see how the other kittens are.

Thanks for the advice guys.

18. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

As long as he's eating fairly well and behaving normally then he should be fine! Of course if you notice any changes do take him back to the vets. Is he just sneezing or is there any mucus? I'll bet the rest of his littermates have developed the same symptoms!

I certainly hope those tablets are BIG considering the dosage amounts!! :)

19. spudsmummy

Yeah he is eating ok and seems ok in himself, although he is sleeping a bit more then before but he still has play time too. He is still sneezing but not as much as yesterday so hopefully the antibiotics are helping in some way.

The tablet is fairly small so it may be fun trying to get 1/8 out of it but i thought i would cut it into 1/4 them crush 1/4 up and put half the powered into his food. Dose that sound right??

20. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Good sign sneezing is abating and what you mention about tablets sounds fine! If you've a problem you can buy a pill cutter from the vets.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice