Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Kitten sleeping ALL THE TIME after vaccine/dewormer

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Connor Graham, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Connor Graham

Connor Graham PetForums Newbie

My kitten is 9-weeks-old. We got her on Monday and on Friday she went to the vets to be vaccinated and de-wormed. Before this vet visit, she was playing all the time, full of energy, eating etc. Now she just spends all day sleeping on the sofa and doesn't really play or eat her food.

Is this normal? She still interacts with us but there has been a remarkable change in personality the past two days.

2. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome
    I think you should give your Vet a call. Normally it takes around 24 hours before they feel active again. It takes a lot out of their little immune systems to fight the effects of the vaccine. Hope she’s Ok by tomorrow.

3. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

The vaccines contains tiny amounts of the virus's they protect against, so when injected the body's immune system kicks in to build an immune response. As @Soozi says it does take a lot out of them at the time.

The immune system response is the same as when we catch a cold virus, the runny nose we get with the cold is the result of our immune system kicking in to fight off our cold. If you are still worried in the morning, especially if she's still not eating or drinking then call your vet.

TriTri and Soozi like this.
  4. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

Call your vet. Your kitten should be right as rain by now, IME they bounce back within 24 hours. Hope she is OK, please let us know x

Pinto, Soozi and buffie like this.
  5. Connor Graham

The sleeping doesn't seem to be sinister. Basically she just seems lazy - we found her sleeping in the laundry basket today and she's constantly stretching, yawning, and dozing off. I will phone the vet tomorrow if this persists! Stretched out next to me looking tired as I type this.

Soozi likes this.
  6. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

What vaccines were given? Some have more side effects than others.
    Also how much does she weigh?

For all our kittens this would be a very unusual reaction and I’d be phoning the vet.

At 9 weeks she should still be with her mum, being taken away too soon, followed by a vet trip can be stressful.

moggie14 likes this.
  7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Could be the current warm temperatures making her sleepy, as well as the effects of the vaccine.

Treaclesmum and havoc like this.
  8. Connor Graham

I know 9 weeks is young, but unfortunately that's when most cats are sold these days, even at 8 weeks old. She was the last in the litter to go.

9. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

I would get her along to the vet today for a check over just to be on the safe side.

Very young kittens can get dehydrated etc very easily and it’s much better (both for their health and wellbeing, and your wallet) to be over cautious than wait a bit too long! I do speak from experience! We got Joey on a Saturday evening and he was hospitalised by Wednesday. Our vet didn’t vaccinate him when he was too small though as he was underweight, they wanted to wait until he was 1kg+. So vaccinations wasn’t a factor in his going downhill.

10. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

How is your little one today? Hopefully she’s brighter now.

moggie14 likes this.
  11. Connor Graham

She is a lot better today thankfully! Ironically napping right now but playing more and being more her old self finally :) Thanks everyone

Jaf, SuboJvR, chillminx and 4 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice